Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell Dressing Haversack?

SimonMoore

Hi chaps, writing with a query regarding shell dressing haversacks. I know of the history of these items from around 1939 onwards but I am lacking a date of introduction and wondered if they were introduced during the Great War? I understand stretcher bearers sometimes carried shell dressings in a regular issue haversack and so wondered if the shell dressing haversack, intended specifically for their carriage, was developed during the war as a response to this. Many thanks in advance for any information.

Hi Simon,

According to information in Chris Pollendine's excellent Campaign 1915 book the Haversack Shell Dressing was made and issued in the Great War. The one he illustrates is dated 1918.Page 179 refers with background text and photos.

Regards

Mark

Edited by mark holden
correcting date

Many thanks Mark, ashamed to say I don't yet have a copy of Campaign 1915 but it is on my wish list. I'd likewise be interested to know if the series is set to continue.

Paul,

I believe that Campaign 1916 may be published this summer according to Daniel Fisher of Military Mode/Regimentals.

Simon,

Campaign 1914 and 15 are still readily available and well worth the modest outlay in my humble opinion.

Regards

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2019 at 21:16, Wardog said:

Thank you Mark. We shall see. I had wondered if there were author personal or health reasons so I have not liked to enquire recently. Regards, Paul.

No he's fine and has been - just flat out in real life with work.

He's definitely working on it as he only yesterday sent a 'round robin' email to a few of us with a query on the Royal Army Clothing Factory.

Cheers,

GT.