Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

Researchstudent

Hello, 

could anyone please recommend any good books on the Royal Engineers? 

Thank you 

Sarah 

Edited by Researchstudent

Hello Sarah

Here is one:

With the Rank and Pay of a Sapper: 216th (Nuneaton) Army Troops Company, Royal Engineers, in the Great War by James Sambrook. It is a modern publication, based on the diaries of his father, who served in the company.

There is a series The Work of the RE in the European War, published by the RE Institution in the 1920s. It has nine volumes, based on different aspects of their work such as bridging, signals, and water supply. The volume "The Signal Service (France)" by Major R J Priestley is certainly available online, and the rest may be as well.

The Great War volumes of the History of the Royal Engineers (Volumes V, VI and VII) edited by Maj-Gen H L Pritchard were not published until the 1950s.

Others may be along soon with further suggestions.

Ron

The following are from my library, but is not exhaustive. I have largely chosen publications that have WW1 content but I have histories outside of that:

Unit Histories (Field)

History of the 2nd West Yorkshire RE Volunteers 1861-1936

Col Walter Boyle OBE TD 1936. Includes The Norther Telegraph Companies RE (Army Troops) and 49th (West Riding Divisional Signals Companies.

History of 520 Field Company 1914-1918 - Maj Stewart Rowe RE  (1919)

History of the Tyne Electrical Engineers RE - 1884-1933.  Colonel  Charles Mark Palmer. (First published 1933 , 2009 reprint.)

Narrative of the 502 (Wessex) Field Company RE, 1915-1919. Major CL Fox MC (1920)

Record of the 203 Field Company (Cambs)  RE, 1919. W C Gibbs (1921)

Cornwall’s Royal Engineers Lt Colonel CJH Mead (1947)

65 RE - A Short Record of the 65th Field Company of the Royal Engineers. Capt CE Duff (1920)

Flash Spotters and sound Rangers - How they lived worked and fought in the Great War R. John (compiler) 1997 reprint.

Sussex Sappers. Colonel L F Morling DSO OBE TD (compiler).

A History of The East Lancashire Royal Engineers (1921)

Gas! The Story of the Special Brigade. Maj Gen Charles Howard Foulkes (1936)

Chemical Soldiers: British Gas Warfare in The First World War - Donald Richter (1993)

RE Railways

Great War Railways in the First World War - Sandra Gittins, (2010)

Narrow Gauge at War (2 Vols) Keith Taylerson 2007 and 2008.

Railway Operating Division on the Western Front , William AT Aves (2005).

The Light Railway from Arras - 19 & 31 st railway Companies RE, TR Heritage (1991)

All Rank and No File - History of the Railway Staff Corps 1865-1965. Maj CEC Townsend RE (T)

Railway Manual (War) 1911.  (Reprinted with amendments, 1914).

The Railway Gazette and Railway News - Special War Transportation Number (1920)

Inland Water Transport

Richborough Port - Robert Butler (1999)

The Romance of Richborough - A Historical Record of England’s Great Mystery Port. Lewis Shandel (1921)

The Inland Water Transport in Mesopotamia - Lieutenant Colonel A J Hall (compiler) (1921).

Miscellaneous

Into Battle  - A Soldiers Diary of the Great War - John Glubb (1978)

The Brennan Torpedo - Alec Beanse (2012)

Honourable Conquests - An Account of the Enduring Work of the Royal Engineers throughout the Empire. AJ Smithers  (1998).

A Short History of the Corps of Royal Engineers , The Institution of Royal Engineers (2006)

Steam Traction in the Royal Engineers, Colonel John Nowers (1994)

Volumes 5 and 6 of the Corps History cover WW1.   Hennicker's Transportation on the Western Front, part of the Official History of WW1,  is also useful.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Thank you both so much lots to go at there - I’m specifically looking for information about the workshops in the reserve lines, so there should be plenty of information there. 

I wish you had said that in the first place, Nothing in the list I posted will help you. It would be better if you posted what specific information you have.

TR

4 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

I wish you had said that in the first place, Nothing in the list I posted will help you. It would be better if you posted what specific information you have.

TR

Thank you - I have got hold of some of the books you suggested and they are proving very useful in lots of ways. I am extremely grateful for your assistance 

31 minutes ago, Researchstudent said:

Thank you - I have got hold of some of the books you suggested and they are proving very useful in lots of ways. I am extremely grateful for your assistance 

Sarah

If you can be bit more specific about the workshops we might be able to point you in the right direction.

TR

7 hours ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Sarah

If you can be bit more specific about the workshops we might be able to point you in the right direction.

TR

That would be very kind.

I am writing about “trench art” and the likelihood that a lot of pieces were made from material found in the front lines and brought back to the reserve to fashion into items. I am trying to establish some basic facts in my head. I’d like to know where the R.E workshops were, how many of them were there, what kind of equipment did they have, how many men were attached as an average to each one. The mother lode would be to find accounts of people using the tools there for extra curricular purposes, but I realise that’s a long shot. I have asked my supervisor and he has directed me to the R.E museum so I am waiting to hear from them but I’d quite like to read up on it on my own too. 

Any suggestions would be gratefully recieved. I am going to go through the books that have been recommended too, all I can get my hands on, to see if there is the odd mention or line here and there that I can use to piece things together. 

It strikes me as being an an interesting topic in its own right as the timely repair and assembly that went on in these workshops was so vital. 

Thank you so much once again.

Sarah 

Sarah

There were numerous workshops in France and Flanders not all of them belonging to the RE.

5  x RE Workshops, on for each of the five armies

The following also had workshop facilities

3 x Advanced Park Companies

5 x Base Parks

Inland Waterways  Transport Workshops

Railway Workshops

The Army Ordnance Corps and the Army Service Corps also had Workshops.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Sarah,

As you are looking at trench art it would be worth putting that in the thread title as there are a few collectors of trench art on this forum who may be able to help you.

There are also a couple of books on trench art that may help you.

Scott

2 minutes ago, Waddell said:

Sarah,

As you are looking at trench art it would be worth putting that in the thread title as there are a few collectors of trench art on this forum who may be able to help you.

There are also a couple of books on trench art that may help you.

Scott

Thank you Scott, yes I have several threads going. I have managed to source some really good books on trench art and have had some fascinating conversations with Nicholas Saunders about my ideas. 

Along with the R.E Avenue I’m also exploring courts martial cases to see if anyone was taken to task for using the shell cases and people on here have given me some fantastic avenues to explore.  I also have a thread asking for anyone who has examples of trench art that I can see and use in my work. 

I love it here everyone is so helpful 

Sarah 

45 minutes ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Sarah

There were numerous workshops in France and Flanders not all of them belonging to the RE.

5  x RE Workshops, on for each of the five armies

The following also had workshop facilities

3 x Advanced Park Companies

5 x Base Parks

Inland Waterways  Transport Workshops

Railway Workshops

The Army Ordnance Corps and the Army Service Corps also had Workshops.

TR

That’s fantastic Terry thank you, that gives me a lot to look for and broadens out my search. Your help is much appreciated. 

Sarah

Terry,

I am glad you did post a list of some of the books on RE units in your library. I would be very interested in knowing how I could obtain a copy of the History of 203rd Field Co (Cambs). My grandfather posted with them on 22 Jun through being severly wounded on 28 Sep 1918. I have the War Diary and would love to learn more about the unit he served with.

Thanks, Dave 

Dave

These small unit histories are quite scarce. They were generally published for men who had serve with the unit and were restricted to just one edition.  You might want to keep an eye open on ABE books on the internet and also contact a bookseller such as Tom Donovan and ask him to to keep on eye open for a copy for you`:

https://www.turnerdonovan.com

TR

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Terry,

Unfortunately I have had no success finding a copy of the Record of 203rd Field Co (Cambs) by W.C. Gibbs. If you would be so kind as looking through your copy to see if there is any mention of them taking over section of the line from Co. B, 1st Battalion, 105th Engineer Regiment, USA on/about 4 Sep 18. I was very surprised to see that a American unit comprised of mostly southern country boys that trained right here in town I live in North Carolina was relieved by my grandfathers RE Company. Small world. I could only imagine the communication between the incoming and outgoing squad leaders. Probably each one going back to their men saying "They seem like knowledgeable and good boys but they talk funny and I hardly understood a word they said ".  In discussing with the local historian he is very keen to see documentation from BEF perspective.

As always thanks for any assistance provided.

Dave  

Dave

There is nothing in the unit history I'm afraid. They are mentioned in the war diary however:

The 5th Division relieved the 30th American Division.  The company proceeded to G1O Central  (Sheet 28) and transport to L.7.d.5 (Sheet 24) and took over the billets an work from B Coy, 1st Battalion of the 105th Engineer Regiment (American) . Weather cloudy, some rain.

Not quite what you were hoping for. Ships passing in the night so to speak.

TR

Oh well Terry thanks for responding. I was hoping there was something more than the 203rd War Diary as that's what lead me to the 105th. I found very detailed digitized records of History of the 105th Regiment Divisional Engineers of the "Old Hickory" 30th Division on the North Carolina State Archives site. Actually mentioned being met by a Capt Gibbs of British RE's for assignment of billeting locations. I am assuming he was the W.C. Gibbs who later authored the History of the 203rd (Cambs) RE.

Also of note was letter written by outgoing RE Commander to incoming US counterpart of that section detailing his frustration with poor use of terrain (drainage) and war weariness of his troops at this time.

On 14/02/2019 at 04:23, Ron Clifton said:

Hello Sarah

There is a series The Work of the RE in the European War, published by the RE Institution in the 1920s. It has nine volumes, based on different aspects of their work such as bridging, signals, and water supply. The volume "The Signal Service (France)" by Major R J Priestley is certainly available online, and the rest may be as well.

HathiTrust has a number of these volumes online, all except one are "full view" for me, so probably that is what most people will see.

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Search/Home?lookfor=The Work of the Royal Engineers in the European War&searchtype=title&ft=&setft=false

Also online

The Signal Service in the European War of 1914-1918 (France) by R E Priestley (Late Major, R E) 1921 Archive.org

Cheers

Maureen

Edited by Maureene

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...