Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Railways of the Great War - BBC4

PhilB

23 hours ago, PhilB said:

Michael Portillo explores the role of trains in WW1, a series of five programmes starting tonight 7.30 pm.

Well worth a second watch in my opinion.

Has an ex-friend of mine in one episode - her grandfather was a railwayman in the Somme area.

I re-watched this series a few months ago on iPlayer. In the final episode Michael Portillo concludes by summarising the series in a sequence - part of which appears in most episodes - filmed in one of the cloisters at the Menin Gate. I hadn't spotted it the first time I watched but this time round,  noticing where he was standing  and seeing 'London Rifle' behind him, I had a bit of a 'wow' moment when I realised he was standing in front of the panel on which my Grandfather is commemorated and, even more remarkably, his name could actually be read!  After a bit of back and forwarding 

547418060_RailwaysoftheGreatWarEp528min26sec.jpg.fcb4c3cf2f5b98bc2196af93e386e130.jpg 1893564144_RailwaysoftheGreatWarEp528min26sec-Detail.jpg.3565a24213787947b280d33195176274.jpg

Definitely one  for the family archive.

NigelS

On 11/02/2019 at 17:53, PhilB said:

Michael Portillo explores the role of trains in WW1, a series of five programmes starting tonight 7.30 pm.

And you will have the additional thrill of admiring my shining face in the first episode. Could you ask for more?

43 minutes ago, NigelS said:

Definitely one  for the family archive

Nice one!

2 hours ago, DavidOwen said:

I have the corresponding book which is a good, if easy, read.

Frankly, I think its better than the TV series