Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bullet relics Caveat Emptor

Sgt Stripes

Over the last few years I have seen on a well known auction site a lot of dug relics with bullets imbedded in then IE bullets in buttons, watches and coins. Undoubtedly many men's lives were saved by these items however what are the chances of finding so many relics in the ground. Is it fair to say that maybe someone is knocking these out in a garden shed and selling them.      

I doubt original. Ive seen diaries, bibles, tobacco pouches, watches with bullet or holes in but bullets in button and small items are too accurate to be found many of. I have heard of some men keeping fluke bullets like that as "I will keep it as its the one that had my name on" . bearing in mind how many came back and brought theirs, what is the chance of just finding one let alone 5 in a field. you would have to dig up many fields over many years and sift them well to find many . I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum that there are a lot of shell cases all with the same pattern that could only have been mass produced. personally, I prefer the unique , rough, items

The only bullets that stuff carried in pockets or on clothing would protect you from are spent ones at extreme range. 

At normal fighting ranges a standard-calibre bullet would penetrate several family bibles; a cigarette case, watch or coin would give no detectable protection - in fact. secondary projectiles driven into the body would usually aggravate wounds.

3 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

...Is it fair to say that maybe someone is knocking these out in a garden shed and selling them...

Plenty of similarly styled examples sold as modern copies/reworks on Ebay at any one time, so there is no doubt about it. Just one example below:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trench-Art-Style-coin-damaged-bullet-Armistice-Poppy-style-Key-ring/153365610057?hash=item23b54d7e49:g:1H0AAOSw2vJcYbB2:rk:1:pf:0

Edited by Andrew Upton

I really think sites such as EBAY should look to see if the same person (persons) are putting these relics up for sale and maybe ask them a few questions or at least tell them to re-word the so called relics as newly made .and not put up for sale as WW1 relics.   

I suspect it's a group of Eastern bloc sellers with a few fellow sellers. Look at the WW2 German medals and badges commonly known as repro but sold to people who don't know any better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11 February 2019 at 15:17, DavidOwen said:

More likely a Chinese laundry (if any still exist).

If the man's life had been saved then wouldn't the object have stayed with him?

My local museum has a clip from a SMLE, the casing of one round has been pierced by a Turkish bullet. It was sent home from Gallipoli by a local man serving with the RWF, in the accompanying letter he described how it saved his life.

He should have kept it with him as he was killed a couple of months later. 

On 11 February 2019 at 15:12, Sgt Stripes said:

Is it fair to say that maybe someone is knocking these out in a garden shed and selling them.      

Currently selling close to £40 a pop!:o

I've got plenty of period coins...:ph34r:

image.jpeg

Its uncanny how many of bullets fired by the Germans end up going through the middle of pennies. Its as if someone was putting them there on purpose. 

Edited by Sgt Stripes

15 hours ago, Sgt Stripes said:

Its uncanny how many of bullets fired by the Germans end up going through the middle of pennies. Its as if someone was putting them there on purpose. 

Especially when the pennies are showing decades of pocket-wear on the year marking in or before which it's supposed to've happened... :rolleyes: