Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Phill Jones

1320 William Thomas Phillips MM 1st Welsh Guards

Phill Jones

I am trying to obtain details of the Military Medal awarded to the above soldier  , his  attestation papers state that he joined the Welsh Guards on the 1st May 1915  , entered theatre of war France  on the 17th Aug 1915 , the award of the MM was Gazetted on the 24th Jan 1919 , so i am guessing the action  for which the award was given was possibly  around Sept / October 1918 although nothing is recorded in the 1st Battalion Welsh Guards War Diary during this period , his attestation papers also record the following awarded MM  R.O.185 19/9/18  can anyone advise where i might find out more on this . Thank you  

Phill Jones 

DavidOwen

Hi Phill

Strangely enough the Gazette seems to jump from those being awarded a Bar to the MM to those presumably being awarded the medal for the first time without the usual paragraph stating "His Majesty...." (on p 1207). https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31142/supplement/1214

I'm left wondering if it was a New Year's honours list for general bravery in the field rather than for a specific act?

Then again....

Regards

David

Coldstreamer

Never knew new years honour for the military medal.

I have a mm awarded in late 18, will see when gazetted to give you rough idea as I know exact date won

Edited by Coldstreamer
Typo

DavidOwen

Sorry, I should have noticed you had the date for the action in your original post of 19/9/18, so ignore my suggestion re NY (I know some were awarded later in 1919+ on a general bravery basis).

Does the WD not suggest any actions on that date? 

Might the Brigade WD have any clues in it?

Coldstreamer

An action on 9.11.18 that resulted in mm was submitted 11.11.18 and gazetted 23.7.19

Rule of thumb is 3 months from action to gazette but as war went on this got longer 

Another,  mm won 27.8.18 gazetted 11.2.19

Edited by Coldstreamer

Coldstreamer

Have you looked on the British medal forum, hundreds if not thousands of "citations " collected from local papers; these being best source for mms

DavidOwen
5 minutes ago, Coldstreamer said:

Have you looked on the British medal forum, hundreds if not thousands of "citations " collected from local papers; these being best source for mms

What a great tip!

Phill Jones

Thank you to all who have replied to this thread , i have found today a local  Newspaper cutting dated 10/10/18 announcing the award , i have checked the 1st Batt 3 Welsh guards war diary from start to finish nothing recorded , i will try the 3rd Guards Brigade War Diary  

Edited by Phill Jones
typo

Coldstreamer

war diaries often don't mention other ranks