Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

All Together Now

Help with Navy record

All Together Now

I found my Great Grandfather's 1914-15 Star this evening and on it was his service number: 304360. His name was William Henry Jones, from Toxteth, Liverpool. He joined the Navy well before the War, but I was wondering if anyone could give any info based on this record I have located for him for the War period?

I seem to remember my Nanna mentioning that she thought he had gone to Gallipoli, but can't fully remember.

Thanks.

304360 William Jones.jpg

David_Underdown

From 19 August 1913 to  11 January 1916 he was serving on the destroyer HMS Redpole.  I can't make out the name of his following posting.

seaJane

VIVID, but I can't see which. An accounting base, if I recall correctly.

Malcolm12hl

I believe the entry covering the period 1916-1919 is BLENHEIM.  The vessel in question was an old cruiser which had been converted to a destroyer depot ship before the war.  She went to Mudros in early 1915 to serve as a depot for destroyers supporting the Gallipoli campaign.

David_Underdown
27 minutes ago, seaJane said:

VIVID, but I can't see which. An accounting base, if I recall correctly.

VIVID II was his accounting base for a bit, but the dittoes in brackets following show that he was still on HMS Redpole physically, then there's another brief period on VIVD II before discharge to Royal Fleet Reserve.

daggers

RedpolL?

All Together Now

Thanks for the responses, the image doesn't seem that clear on this forum post. I had a look again and it seems to say from what I can tell:

Blake: 19th Aug 1913 - 31st Aug 1915

Redpole: 1st Sep 1915 - 13th Nov 1915

I then can't make out the writing but dates are: 14th Nov 1915 - to some point in 1916

Blenheim (assuming @Malcolm12hl) is correct: 1916 - 1919

It sounds like Blake may have gone to the Battle of Jutland? With Redpole Google searches seem to return more about WW2.

With Occupation - can anyone work out what it says? Looks like Assistant Captain Man to me but can't imagine I have read that right. 

The back of his medal says STO. 1., R.N. (assume that is Stoker).

Edited by All Together Now

horatio2

Assistant CAPSTAN man.

horatio2
1 hour ago, daggers said:

RedpolL?

HMS REDPOLE is correct.

daggers

Sorry!

Keith_history_buff

I was in a hurry to post, and added the wrong link

December, 1915
Comet, Fury, Redpole and Staunch have been transferred to the Fifth Destroyer Flotilla in the Mediterranean

http://www.dreadnoughtproject.org/tfs/index.php/Second_Destroyer_Flotilla_(Royal_Navy)#December.2C_1915

So, it looks like Redpole could have covered the evacuation from Gallipoli?

Thanks, Keith

Malcolm12hl

The BLENHEIM served as Depot Ship for the Fifth Destroyer Flotilla in the Mediterranean through to the end of the war, which might suggest that it is indeed her name on the service record card for the period 1916-1919.

Keith_history_buff

It looks like he spent his time before and after the war on HMS Redpole, but this vessel was swapped from one squadron to another. The link that I posted gives some pertinent detail on the Redpole, and its various movements. 

All Together Now

Appreciate all the responses, will have a look properly Thursday as going away for a couple of days in the morning. Looks like some interesting reading to get through though!