Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

PrivatePrice

Identifying the battery a solider served with.

PrivatePrice

Dear forum pals I am seeking some help on trying to identify the RFA battery a soldier served with. His name was Cecil M. Burden, 59494, and he served in XXIII Brigade which comprised of 107, 108 and 109 batteries. I have seen his Medal Index Card and Medal Rolls but there is no indication in which battery he served. I recently acquired his medals and wanted to research his war service. Any help would be appreciated.

regards,

PrivatePrice

charlie962

I'm not answering your specific question but:

Did you spot the service number on the MIC which is 1004224. This you can then trace to RA Attestations on FindmyPast. -Discharged in 1921 so his name may be on MoD held file lists **?

Charlie

**edit- but I cannot see it

Edited by charlie962

charlie962

Given that he enlisted 1909 he will be on the 1911 military census. You may or may not strike lucky with a battery ? But not always.

PrivatePrice

Charlie,

Thanks for the info. I will check the 1911 military census tomorrow and see if there is any additional information.

regards,

PrivatePrice

battiscombe

I have Cecil Maurice Burden in 108th Bty in 1911 - from Havant

PrivatePrice

Dear Battiscombe,

Many thanks for the additional information as it really helps. I will now trace his family history and that of the battery as well. I am planning a trip following the retreat of the BEF from Mons towards Paris and this will add interest to it. By a strange coincidence my mother lived in Havant for many years and I will see how close she lived to his former home.   

regards,

PrivatePrice.