Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Original? german fighting knife ERN WALD RHEINL.

josh2345678

Would like some help on the grey cloth belt loop on this fighting knife would this be original? And to know more about this item. Thank you 

34567a.jpg

34567d.jpg

34567b.jpg

34567.jpg

34567c.jpg

Edited by josh2345678

Can't see the fixing to the scabbard, but  these german trench knives normally have leather belt loops fastened to the body of the scabbard by two hollow rivets.  Hence what is shown is a replacement.  The knife looks right enough though. - SW

4 hours ago, calibre792x57.y said:

Can't see the fixing to the scabbard, but  these german trench knives normally have leather belt loops fastened to the body of the scabbard by two hollow rivets.  Hence what is shown is a replacement.  The knife looks right enough though. - SW

You ever heard of one with a grey cloth for a belt loop ?

As well as leather belt loops they are also found with an ersatz cloth loop of various colours. The weave of the ersatz cloth is typically very (extremely) coarse, and the cloth has an almost hessian feel to it. I suspect the cloth is a processed wood fibre, referred to by British reports as a "paper" substitute material. My example is not very good but illustrates the type

Cheers

RossIMG_2094.JPG.d4db3f20d3e329edfa8b9ed09375bc17.JPGIMG_2096.JPG.eaff4f8f5c0c17f4e88935867a0fa329.JPG 

Aye,Chasemuseum -  I overlooked the woven loops sometimes fitted.  Still has the hollow rivets though and I have never seen a fabric one like that shown by Josh.  - SW