Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1914-1918 'Sweetheart' brooch?

Travelgirl154

I have just been given this brooch that belonged to my gt grandmother.  It may have been given to her by by gt grandfather who was a Cpl in the MGC (117th MG Coy, 39th MG Bn although joined up as Royal Scots) and served in France/Belgium 1916-1918.  Did different units make up their own brooches or were these bought in the towns/cities by the soldiers?  Does the (iron?) cross in the centre of the brooch have any particular relevance?  Are the brooches fairly common?  If anyone has any further information about them I'd be interested to hear.

Brooch Front.jpg

Brooch Back.jpg

Edited by Travelgirl154

Hi

I believe that it’s most likely to be German due to the iron cross although the coins are Belgian and Brussels was under German occupation for the duration of the war

Brooches were often made up locally and sold to soldiers when they were on rest out of the line.  There were real cottage industries in a war where ‘normal employment’ had often become impossible.  These ranged from the obvious like estaminets and farmers kitchens selling ‘plonk’ and egg and chips, to embroidered keepsakes, such as cushions and cotton web waist belts with badges and sentimental messages stitched in, to metal smiths and jewellers making brooches with whatever materials they could obtain.  The brooch you have looks like the latter, improvised from coins, paste jewels and pieces of insignia.  It is a lovely example of objects crafted by people doing the best that they they could to earn a few honest sou/francs from their own skills and whatever they could find to hand.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you all - I appreciate the extra information - this forum has been so helpful for my research the past year or so, whether answering my questions or finding that others have already had a discussion about a subject.  I've since come across a couple of examples on internet searches - many made by British troops often used the cap badges.  Unfortunately my family no longer has many belongings of my great grandparents so I was really grateful to receive this from my uncle recently.  I thought about polishing it up but I'm tempted to leave it as is... 

Daggers - sorry my photo is a bit blurred over that area but it has 1914 on one side and 1918 on the other so presume it just represents the years between.