Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Sawpatin

German view of Native-Americans during WW1?

Sawpatin

Hello all,

I'm curious, what sort of image did WW1 German society have of Native-Americans? Some Germans back then would have surely seen the Wild West Shows that toured Europe before the war, and I know that Karl May's fantasy depictions of Native-Americans have had some influence on the German view of those cultures, even to the present day...

I've heard stories that during the 1930s, Nazi Germany had some interest in getting Native-Americans on their side, sending "anthropologists" to study indigenous languages on reservations, and throwing out propaganda about swastika connections between certain tribes and the Nazis. Were there any attempts during WW1 by German agents to win over Native-Americans? Or any German wartime propaganda aimed specifically at Native-Americans?

Edited by Sawpatin

Moonraker

Welcome to the Forum.

This doesn't directly answer your questions but ...   At first the Canadian Government adopted a policy of not allowing 'Indians' to serve overseas, believing that the Germans considered them savages and fearing that this would result in their inhumane treatment if taken prisoner. However the policy was not strictly enforced (there were several aboriginals in the First Canadian Contingent that came to Salisbury Plain in October 1914) and was cancelled in late 1915. At least 3,500 Canadian Indians enlisted. Race and ethnicity were not recorded in the attestation papers, so an accurate total is impossible to assess.

Moonraker

Sawpatin

Thanks for the reply. Don't want to go too off topic, but were First Nations people considered Canadian citizens at that time? In the USA, Native-Americans didn't have citizenship until 1924, which as far as I know meant they were exempt from the WW1 draft (although, like in Canada, plenty enlisted...)