Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

My 1916 BSA SMLE mk3*

Marty03321

There is just something about these rifles. I bought a 1907 Mk111 still with cut off, no volley site or disc. Unfortunately it is a deact  as i have yet to get my FAC after which a live one is close to the top of my list. I did shoot a ‘light loaded’ one and the sound and action were just fantastic.
Once all is back to normal i can continue my probation  period.  

20 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Hi Martin,

THIS MIGHT BE HELPFUL or the official word HERE

HERE is the table for MkVII ammunition with the bayonet fixed

When rifles were produced they were test fired from a rest at 100ft and 4/5 shots at 100ft had to hit a rectangle 1" wide by 1.5" tall

Then a percentage of rifles were fired at 600yds and 6/7 shots had to hit within a 2ft circle.

One other thing that you might consider is the sight picture you were holding. The intended site picture on an SMLE is demonstrated below (this is actually from a WWII publication intended for LDV / Home Guard  members but refers to the ShtLE.)  The top of the foresight blade is intended to be at "6 o'clock" the very bottom, center of the target. If you were holding centrally then this would add a bit of height.

sight.jpg.fb9d252d89ded4c93db0332af299e91e.jpg

Chris

Many, many, thanks for that Chris! I have read so much late 19th century German documentation on trials with the Gew.71 with bayonets attached and without, that resulted in the decision to develop the wonderful Gew.98 below the barrel bayonet fitting and which in turn inspired the P.1907 nose cap system. I never knew that there was an official document on this aiming 'with or without bayonet' attached matter so that has greatly improved my knowledge! Now, where is the blasted German equivalent...!!! 

Julian 

@4thGordons

Many thanks, awesome history lesson. 

@sc-em

I have just renewed my FAC, I now have another slot for a .303

You must be located in the UK?

Marty

On 30/07/2020 at 09:16, sc-em said:

There is just something about these rifles. I bought a 1907 Mk111 still with cut off, no volley site or disc. Unfortunately it is a deact  as i have yet to get my FAC after which a live one is close to the top of my list. I did shoot a ‘light loaded’ one and the sound and action were just fantastic.
Once all is back to normal i can continue my probation  period.  

If you want the smell too, you gotta shoot cordite Mk.VII through a barrel rodded with Rangoon Oil or Young's 303. Don't shoot the first round or two to count. :D

Yes. UK based. It seems at the club I am joining i will have to ‘prove’ myself before I could fire an SMLE. But that wont stop me acquiring one In preparation. I hope. 
As for the smell. That sounds great. I have shot some black powder and that is terrific too. 
i may be a bit odd but it is the visceral experience rather than necessarily getting better at shooting, although i am sure i will endeavour to get better in due course. 

• 4 weeks later...

That’s a shame, so you have to serve a probationary period before being allowed on the firing point? 
I stalk and control vermin on a few permissions, so I am lucky to have land to shoot over and set up targets. One is next door to a military range so the unmoderated SMLE doesn’t attract any attention.