Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hong Kong Prisoners of war 2ww

s.fillis

Hi everyone, I'm trying to build a picture of the military personal in my family tree, and was hoping that this site would help me, my sister has found some information about our Fillis family, but I thought I would have a go with our Shrigley family, being an unusual name you think I would have a bit of luck but I'm afraid to say I haven't.

Anyway one of the chaps I am looking for is My great Uncle, Lieutenant Ralph James Shrigley, born in 1898 I believe and died in Hong Kong on 28th June 1944 around the age of 46, there is a grave at Stanley military cemetery plot 4E12.

Ralph was a member of the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corp (HKVDC) sadly I don't have his number, but I know he was held at Prisoner war camp "N" Honk Kong south China (this is from a telegram message he sent to his younger sister Pearl Shrigley my Grandmother ( I have the telegrams). The telegram also states that his wife Nessie is in the Civilian Internment Camp and at that time they were both well (Ralph was arrested on 7th June 1944 and died around  21 days later).

Any official account I have found suggests that complications caused by contracting Berry Berry caused my Great Uncles death. However, Family letters and a brief passage in Tony Banham's book "We shall suffer there: Hong Kong Defenders Imprisoned 1942-45" suggests a more sinister/heroic death, which involves Ralph being Interrogated (or rather tortured) by the Japanese for the names of men who were trying to escape (they found Ralphs ground sheet in a tunnel, the escapees had been using it to exuviate the soil) and Ralph had also hidden the regimental colours and wouldn't tell them where (these were later found when the foundations of the American consulate in garden road during the 1970's), the letter we have support this information (letters again sent to my Grandmother from one of Nessie's relatives as the information became available) It is also believed that Ralph either jumped or was thrown from a 1st or 2nd floor window whilst under interrogation, I remember reading this online somewhere but cant remember the reference.

Really I am just wondering if anyone has anymore information on "Uncle Ralph" and any of the other Hong Kong Volunteers.

Insidently Ralphs Father Company Sargent Major William Shrigley was a member of the Highland Light Infantry (HLI) 12th Battalion unit 3, died at Loos and was noted as being the oldest casualty of "The Big Push", he died when they were capturing hill70 (?) caught in Enfilade fire on both sides.

I believe he also fought in south Africa as a regular in the HLI (I have his medals) the number I have here for him is 1355.

• Admin

Welcome to the forum

To avoid your thread being instantly locked as this forum is concerned with WW1 perhaps we could look at Ralph's possible service in the Great War and you could consult about the HK side of his life in a ww2 forum such as http://www.ww2talk.com/index.php ?

There was a Ralph J Shrigley, Private 53664 who served in Royal Scots Fusiliers and was awarded a Silver War Badge when discharged because of wounds. His MIC is reproduced below courtesy of Ancestry Free Access. Might he be your man?

image.png.3174052daa0be1972ef8e1ad2ac66af9.png

Edited by DavidOwen
added regt

Thank you I think this was my Ralph Shrigley, he was discharged with a SWB and a gun shot wound to his left leg, went to china in 1930's and volunteered for the 2ww. thank you.

Just need to figure out what drew him th china in the first place, his uk departure says he was an engineer maybe it was to do with employment, how ever in the hkwd say he was in payroll?

Why don't you write to Tony Banham?

Your great uncle is certainly mentioned in his HK War Diary website : -

http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/searchgarrison/hkvdc.html

Tony's email address is on the home page for that website, and every month there is an update on the site of persons who have contacted the site either providing information or maybe requesting it.

Here's the link : -

http://www.hongkongwardiary.com/

• 5 months later...

Ralph James Shrigley was born c. 1898, the son of William Henry Shrigley and Jeannie. Ralph was an Engineer, and was sent over to Hong Kong by the firm he worked for. he Volunteered for the Hong Kong Volunteer Defence Corp, and worked in the Pay Department. He was captured by the Japanese in WW2, and imprisoned, where he was tortured because he would not reveal where the HKDC flag was hidden. Japanese records state that he died of Beri Beri, but in actual fact he was pushed out of a window for not revealing the whereabouts of the Flag. I do have more information, but now need to trawl through all my Genealogy Files. Ralph James is connected to my Family tree, and his father William Henry was born in Yorkshire. regards, J. Harrison.