Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Info on memorial tablet for a South Wales Borderer

liverbird

Hi , hope some one can help to throw light on this info from a memorial tablet in the church at  Cerrigceinwen , Anglesey. The chap I am trying to find information on maybe my grandmothers cousin and I am trying to help another person who is also hoping our family trees connect.

the soldier in question is Daniel Evans who was aged 30 yrs and died in France on the 12 January 1918 but there is no service number shown and it states he is buried in France, I have been searching records and feel he was in the 10th batt because of the death date and conflicts they were in, but I could be hopelessly,wrong. I am really hoping someone can throw a light on this. Daniel was the son of Thomas and Jane Evans of the same area. The tablet shows 11 other men of the area but all died in different places and dates, the number for the tablet is WMR37010

One other thing puzzles me is from memory somewhere when I checked on his details it mentioned Mametz, could it be he was injured in the battle and died later as there is no statement of k.i.a or was the stonemason being polite in choosing his words .i know this is all a big ask with scanty info but all help appreciated and I would certainly like to help this other person confirm his heritage.

Cheers  L.B

There is no record of a Daniel Evans dying on 12th January 1918. There is however, Sapper Daniel Evans, WR10707, who died at 15 Casualtu Clearing Station, France. His Soldiers Effects record shows that he was married to Rosetta. Could this be him?

Regards,

Alf McM

Thank you so much,for your help and interest, I have just had word from Clive who also has confirmed Daniel's info and it matches yours . So I feel you have the right man. So happy I will be able to pass this info on. 

Cheers L.B