Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German units facing 1st Loyal N. Lancs at the Battle of Loos

SimonMoore

Hi Chaps, as the title hints I'm trying to ascertain which German units would have been facing the 1st Loyal North Lancashire Regiment when they moved to attack positions near Hulluch on the 25th of September 1915 during the Battle of Loos. Very appreciative of any information provided or a nudge in the right direction to find out.

I am interested in your topic but sadly can't help with your question but it is one I have puzzled over, my husbands grandfather was killed on the same day and is buried at St Mary's dressing station . The whole area is bleak looking even now and you have to wonder what it was all for. Hope you find your answer, 

cheers L.B

It would appear that the German regiment opposite the 1st Loyal North Lancashire regiment was IR 157.

Ralph

There is a short description of the action on the 25th in the history of IR157 and also a longer one in Vol 2 of the history of IR 26.

https://portal.dnb.de/bookviewer/view/1031691375#page/24/mode/2up

http://digital.wlb-stuttgart.de/sammlungen/sammlungsliste/werksansicht/?no_cache=1&tx_dlf[id]=12096&tx_dlf

=1

Charlie

10 hours ago, liverbird said:

I am interested in your topic but sadly can't help with your question but it is one I have puzzled over, my husbands grandfather was killed on the same day and is buried at St Mary's dressing station . The whole area is bleak looking even now and you have to wonder what it was all for. Hope you find your answer, 

cheers L.B

Who was he, Liverbird ?