Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Hone

Spielberg's new film '1917'

stripeyman

The Wikipedia entry states 'The two recruits race....' Since when were recruits in the midst of a battle??? My thinking is that recruits are about a couple of weeks into their training at the most. When in France and Flanders they are 'trained soldiers'.

Open Bolt
On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:44, Hyacinth1326 said:

...meets Gallipoli

Oh yes, despite a Mel Gibsonesque sprint will the message arrive too late, or will the damn British officers be too stubborn to stop the advance?

Steven Broomfield
1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

Oh yes, despite a Mel Gibsonesque sprint will the message arrive too late, or will the damn British officers be too stubborn to stop the advance?

Depends, of course, on weather the troops are Colonials (and therefore completely dispensible) or British (in which case slightly less dispensible.

Hyacinth1326

...and which of the two will die in the other's arms ?  My bet is the one from 'Sunshine on Leith'.  Echoes of Destrube brothers,  Serre ???

Steven Broomfield

I really, really, really cannot wait for this epic to appear. The newspapers will lap it up (like the recent Dunkirk epic) and the crowds will flood the turnstiles. We (the cognoscenti) will sniff hugely, no-one will listen to us ... and in six weeks' everyone will move on to the next big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.

Gardenerbill

..... with yet another skewed view of the Great War?

Open Bolt

There is plenty of scope for it to be good, or even excellent... Perhaps a GWF rating system needs instituting, for past as well as future offerings, I see that objective-looking %s are de rigueur amongst reviewers.

Steven Broomfield
1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

There is plenty of scope for it to be good, or even excellent... Perhaps a GWF rating system needs instituting, for past as well as future offerings, I see that objective-looking %s are de rigueur amongst reviewers.

Will there be an option to award a minus score?

Donald D
On 05/09/2019 at 06:59, Hyacinth1326 said:

...and which of the two will die in the other's arms ?  My bet is the one from 'Sunshine on Leith'.  Echoes of Destrube brothers,  Serre ???

The Destrube brothers, Guy and Paul and there was third Georges, were killed by a sniper during the 22nd Royal Fusiliers assault on the Miraumont Road in February 1917. Both were part of a Lewis gun team. Guy was the first to die, Paul then rushed in, only to be killed by the same sniper. They are both buried together in Serre Road British Cemetery in one grave.

free1954
On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 05:34, Open Bolt said:

I hadn't thought it might be a comedy. If it is a Hanna -Barbera remake then "Dick Dastardly, his dog Muttley, and the rest of the Vulture Squadron are bent on capturing Yankee Doodle Pigeon to prevent him from delivering his messages"

dastardlyandmuttley_l05.jpg.816feeaf52d40e9571901e3b5d422fde.jpg

HA HA HA  thank you sir. that brought back some old Saturday morning memories.