Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

There is plenty of scope for it to be good, or even excellent... Perhaps a GWF rating system needs instituting, for past as well as future offerings, I see that objective-looking %s are de rigueur amongst reviewers.

Will there be an option to award a minus score?

On 05/09/2019 at 06:59, Hyacinth1326 said:

...and which of the two will die in the other's arms ?  My bet is the one from 'Sunshine on Leith'.  Echoes of Destrube brothers,  Serre ???

The Destrube brothers, Guy and Paul and there was third Georges, were killed by a sniper during the 22nd Royal Fusiliers assault on the Miraumont Road in February 1917. Both were part of a Lewis gun team. Guy was the first to die, Paul then rushed in, only to be killed by the same sniper. They are both buried together in Serre Road British Cemetery in one grave.

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 05:34, Open Bolt said:

I hadn't thought it might be a comedy. If it is a Hanna -Barbera remake then "Dick Dastardly, his dog Muttley, and the rest of the Vulture Squadron are bent on capturing Yankee Doodle Pigeon to prevent him from delivering his messages"

dastardlyandmuttley_l05.jpg.816feeaf52d40e9571901e3b5d422fde.jpg

HA HA HA  thank you sir. that brought back some old Saturday morning memories.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on Twitter, find 1917@1917FilmUK. There is a 4 minute film on there in which Sam Mendes talks about the making of the film, accompanying a lot of footage of it being filmed. 

Just saw the trailer … "if you fail, 1600 men will die"... no pressure boys, no pressure at all...

I think Mr Broomfield is right… it's going to be hailed like the next "Saving Private Ryan" and we'll end up with "Wonder Woman" … or something like that. (I did like Dunkirk though…)

For my part, seeing the trailer does not make me want to see the movie at all costs…

M.  

Still waiting to miss it when it reaches telly. But look forward greatly to the forumistas playing  spot the cobblers which will, no doubt, start on the film's release.

1 hour ago, Marilyne said:

(I did like Dunkirk though…)

M.  

Pah! I thought you were my kind of chap, too. That's you off my festive greetings postage list.

Dunkirk was brilliant.  You can always rely on Sir John Mills.   

You can tell the audience at which it's aimed by the amount and style of pre-publicity.

I have to admit from the outset I thought "isn't this just the final scene from Galliopoli made into a complete film" (and btw I do like Weir's film as a *film* - I don't believe to be a good film every button has to be correct or has to reflect the current historical view)

I have been wincing at the approach of this film (and admit I have only scanned this thread quickly!)

However from a film making point of view - I understand that much of this film is shot in long runs with moving cameras following the action (technically difficult) but which may (MAY!) give it a slightly different feel, increasing the immediacy etc... but if the story is dross it's not going to help..

Not holding my breath.

Chris

19 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Pah! I thought you were my kind of chap, too. That's you off my festive greetings postage list.

:(:(:(:(:(

If you can stand looking at the Mail online, here is Sam Mendes etc talking about the film.  Apparently the film is set during the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line, so not Flanders, then.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/movies/intense-new-trailer-for-sam-mendes-1917-offers-fans-an-extended-look-at-action-packed-world-war-one-epic/ar-AAIfVfd?ocid=ientp

I'm personally looking forward to it, hopefully that it bucks some of the usual trends in Great War media.

On 02/10/2019 at 13:33, 593jones said:

Behind the scenes featurette from Youtube.  Now we can see who is responsible for the film, to praise or blame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hSjs2hBa94

Frankly wasn't too excited for it until I watched this featurette.

I have massive admiration for long take filmmaking. I'll probably see it in theaters if able but keep my expectations low.

5 hours ago, IlluminatiRex said:

I'm personally looking forward to it, hopefully that it bucks some of the usual trends in Great War media.

Good luck with that one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/09/2019 at 19:28, 593jones said:

The Wikipedia article on 1917:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_(2019_film)

I know that's Wikipedia, but I'm still having problems with the storyline, and a battalion of 1,600 men?  Where did that come from?

Anyway, Mr. B, it appears you will have to contain yourself until January 2020 when it is due for release.

In the trailer just shown at half time in the Rugby World Cup Semi, the Colin Firth character states that 1600 men who will die if the attack goes ahead and later that this means 2 battalions. The line about 2 battalions was not in previous trailers that I have seen.

1 hour ago, Gibbo said:

In the trailer just shown at half time in the Rugby World Cup Semi, the Colin Firth character states that 1600 men who will die if the attack goes ahead and later that this means 2 battalions. The line about 2 battalions was not in previous trailers that I have seen.

Mrs Broomfield saw the advert mentioned. Not having been privy to these discussions, her comment was (and I quote) 'That's another one you can pick holes in'/

Smart woman. Knows me well.

4 hours ago, Gibbo said:

I haven't seen that particular trailer, but two battalions does sound more realistic for 1600 men. 

• 5 weeks later...

'Sam Mendes’s 1917 is an amazingly audacious film; as exciting as a heist movie, disturbing as a sci-fi nightmare. Working with co-writer Krysty Wilson-Cairns, he has created a first world war drama of the Western Front and a terrible journey undertaken by two boys like a ghost train ride into a day-lit house of horror, periodically descending into night as if going underwater and then resurfacing into an alien world, bright with menace'.

So writes the Guardian reviewer, ending his piece with, 'It’s bold, thrilling film-making'. And he gives it five stars out of five.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Full review here:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/nov/25/1917-review-sam-mendess-turns-western-front-horror-into-a-single-shot-masterpiece

The gist of the plot:

"But the gruff General (Colin Firth) tells them that aerial photo reconnaissance has disclosed that so far from having retreated, the Germans have simply withdrawn to a position where they are better defended, luring their enemy onward into a trap. Now another British division is about to advance into certain slaughter. Field telephone communication having been cut off, the only way to tell them to call off their attack is via messenger. And so these two shivering soldiers have to make their way across no man’s land, across the abandoned German lines, through (supposedly) vacated German territory and as far as the advancing Allied troops."

The Times, too, has a eulogistic piece. Indeed, the hype is ramping up to a level not seen since the Dunkirk movie a couple of years ago, and look what happened there: loved by critics and watched  by the popcorn-eating public but instantly forgettable and completely hollow.

likely it is artistically transcendent, technically innovative - but historically dubious for the Graun to shudder with such rapture.  Above all it must be ideologically right on.

Edited by Hyacinth1326