Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

15 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

No. 

Well American beauty did win 5 academy awards including best picture and best director. Jarhead, Revolutionary road and the kite runner are all worth watching. The bond stuff too in relatively good.

Ah, American Beauty.  Seems aeons ago now.  Poor Kev.  Not so long ago he was the toast of the acting world and now he's just, well, toast. When luvvies turn, they turn with a vengeance.

I for one think he is a brilliant actor.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Having read the piece, which was pretty much a rehash of a publicists handout I suspect, I am even more predisposed to write it off. How often are new members warned to beware family myth when researching their encestors' war history?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Mendes

4 hours ago, Jervis said:

Well American beauty did win 5 academy awards including best picture and best director. Jarhead, Revolutionary road and the kite runner are all worth watching. The bond stuff too in relatively good.

I enjoyed American Beauty very much, Jarhead less so

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

The Green Jackets Museum FB page is highlighting the fact tyat his MM was an immediate award, with 1st RB. I still have reservations about family history, and the Hollywood myth-making industry. 

Alfred's Service Record is on Ancestry and shows that he enlisted into the 23rd (Reserve) Battalion KRRC at Andover in Jan. '16 and was posted to 1RB in June 1916. MM was awarded Jan 1918 and was discharged whilst serving with 5RB in Jan '19.

Edited by ilkley remembers

The anorak in me compels me to point out that the chalk apparent in the ground - as seen in the trailer - is not consistent with the clay of the Flanders battlefield.

Phil

On 02/08/2019 at 17:38, Tomb1302 said:

The aerial combat was quite disappointing as well seeing as only 5 or 6 planes were depicted throughout.

{Spoiler incoming] I was taken aback at the Spitfire pilot ditching with his canopy closed. Doing that you risk getting trapped … Oh, he did!

Very late to this particular party, and as one who isn't overly bothered about accurate depiction of details, it looks like it could be interesting.

Someone mentioned above about some gothic movie expertise in the crew?  Watching the clip, I'm guessing that there's a potential 'Sliding Doors' aspect to this, with the word TIME focussed- it's likely to be pure fiction but still possibly enjoyable. Seems to be a 'who is the traitor' aspect between Cumberbitch and Firth too?  Spielberg couldn't get away with fiction during the centenary.

ps. perhaps the green grass is down to the Planning consent conditions.

6 hours ago, Norrette said:

ps. perhaps the green grass is down to the Planning consent conditions.

That is possibly the funniest comment I have seen in a good while. Under-stated and droll. 

On 05/08/2019 at 12:35, Steven Broomfield said:

I'm less familiar with his work, but yes, from what I have seen I won't disagree.

His production (he was the director) of 'To The Green Fields' at the Donmar was excellent.

On 10/08/2019 at 20:42, Steven Broomfield said:

That is possibly the funniest comment I have seen in a good while. Under-stated and droll. 

Doubt if it'll earn me survival tokens in skindles.

• 3 weeks later...

...meets Gallipoli

I think most of the comparisons have been done before (several times). I'm still waiting to see the finished article. In fact, I am waiting so impatiently that Mrs Broomfield feels I might burst before it arrives.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:52, Steven Broomfield said:

I think most of the comparisons have been done before (several times). I'm still waiting to see the finished article. In fact, I am waiting so impatiently that Mrs Broomfield feels I might burst before it arrives.

The Wikipedia article on 1917:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_(2019_film)

I know that's Wikipedia, but I'm still having problems with the storyline, and a battalion of 1,600 men?  Where did that come from?

Anyway, Mr. B, it appears you will have to contain yourself until January 2020 when it is due for release.

I'll just have to cope, won#t I? It will make ********s even more anticipated than usual.

The Wikipedia entry states 'The two recruits race....' Since when were recruits in the midst of a battle??? My thinking is that recruits are about a couple of weeks into their training at the most. When in France and Flanders they are 'trained soldiers'.

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 18:44, Hyacinth1326 said:

...meets Gallipoli

Oh yes, despite a Mel Gibsonesque sprint will the message arrive too late, or will the damn British officers be too stubborn to stop the advance?

1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

Oh yes, despite a Mel Gibsonesque sprint will the message arrive too late, or will the damn British officers be too stubborn to stop the advance?

Depends, of course, on weather the troops are Colonials (and therefore completely dispensible) or British (in which case slightly less dispensible.

...and which of the two will die in the other's arms ?  My bet is the one from 'Sunshine on Leith'.  Echoes of Destrube brothers,  Serre ???

I really, really, really cannot wait for this epic to appear. The newspapers will lap it up (like the recent Dunkirk epic) and the crowds will flood the turnstiles. We (the cognoscenti) will sniff hugely, no-one will listen to us ... and in six weeks' everyone will move on to the next big-budget Hollywood blockbuster.

There is plenty of scope for it to be good, or even excellent... Perhaps a GWF rating system needs instituting, for past as well as future offerings, I see that objective-looking %s are de rigueur amongst reviewers.