Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Hone

Spielberg's new film '1917'

Hyacinth1326

That vibrantly green grass juxtaposed against the chalk might have been a stylistic decision.  Aesthetic considerations often win out over material fact.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

David Filsell

Having followed this thread with interest I have decided to wait the film comes on the tele. and miss it then.

593jones
22 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I enjoyed Skyfall.  Bond was given some depth.

'I wonder if they have tried to recreate some of the teeth featured in 'They Shall Not Grow Old'?.  

or someone with severe facial injury.

Nah, my money's on the bad teeth!

phil andrade

The Times newspaper today carries a prominent article on the provenance of this film.

Apparently, Sam Mendes ‘ grandfather was a Portuguese creole from Trinidad who volunteered to join the British army and served in the Ypres Salient.  He was awarded the Military Medal for his conduct at the Battle of Poelcappelle : presumably, this is what inspired the story depicted in the film.

If this is the case, then I feel less predisposed to write it off.

Phil

Hyacinth1326

That’s a very interesting forbear for Mr Mendes to have.  However on the basis of the clip his authenticity does not appear to have informed the mise en scene.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Steven Broomfield
1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

The Times newspaper today carries a prominent article on the provenance of this film.

Apparently, Sam Mendes ‘ grandfather was a Portuguese creole from Trinidad who volunteered to join the British army and served in the Ypres Salient.  He was awarded the Military Medal for his conduct at the Battle of Poelcappelle : presumably, this is what inspired the story depicted in the film.

If this is the case, then I feel less predisposed to write it off.

Phil

Having read the piece, which was pretty much a rehash of a publicists handout I suspect, I am even more predisposed to write it off. How often are new members warned to beware family myth when researching their encestors' war history?

Heid the Ba
On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:35, 593jones said:

Looking at his credits as director I find that I haven't seen any of ;his films.  Am I missing anything?

No. 

Edited by Heid the Ba

Jervis
15 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

No. 

Well American beauty did win 5 academy awards including best picture and best director. Jarhead, Revolutionary road and the kite runner are all worth watching. The bond stuff too in relatively good.

Hyacinth1326

Ah, American Beauty.  Seems aeons ago now.  Poor Kev.  Not so long ago he was the toast of the acting world and now he's just, well, toast. When luvvies turn, they turn with a vengeance.

I for one think he is a brilliant actor.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

seaJane
2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Having read the piece, which was pretty much a rehash of a publicists handout I suspect, I am even more predisposed to write it off. How often are new members warned to beware family myth when researching their encestors' war history?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Mendes

Steven Broomfield
4 hours ago, Jervis said:

Well American beauty did win 5 academy awards including best picture and best director. Jarhead, Revolutionary road and the kite runner are all worth watching. The bond stuff too in relatively good.

I enjoyed American Beauty very much, Jarhead less so

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

The Green Jackets Museum FB page is highlighting the fact tyat his MM was an immediate award, with 1st RB. I still have reservations about family history, and the Hollywood myth-making industry. 

ilkley remembers

Alfred's Service Record is on Ancestry and shows that he enlisted into the 23rd (Reserve) Battalion KRRC at Andover in Jan. '16 and was posted to 1RB in June 1916. MM was awarded Jan 1918 and was discharged whilst serving with 5RB in Jan '19.

Edited by ilkley remembers

phil andrade

The anorak in me compels me to point out that the chalk apparent in the ground - as seen in the trailer - is not consistent with the clay of the Flanders battlefield.

Phil

Nick Beale
On 02/08/2019 at 17:38, Tomb1302 said:

The aerial combat was quite disappointing as well seeing as only 5 or 6 planes were depicted throughout.

{Spoiler incoming] I was taken aback at the Spitfire pilot ditching with his canopy closed. Doing that you risk getting trapped … Oh, he did!

Norrette

Very late to this particular party, and as one who isn't overly bothered about accurate depiction of details, it looks like it could be interesting.

Someone mentioned above about some gothic movie expertise in the crew?  Watching the clip, I'm guessing that there's a potential 'Sliding Doors' aspect to this, with the word TIME focussed- it's likely to be pure fiction but still possibly enjoyable. Seems to be a 'who is the traitor' aspect between Cumberbitch and Firth too?  Spielberg couldn't get away with fiction during the centenary.

ps. perhaps the green grass is down to the Planning consent conditions.

Steven Broomfield
6 hours ago, Norrette said:

ps. perhaps the green grass is down to the Planning consent conditions.

That is possibly the funniest comment I have seen in a good while. Under-stated and droll. 

David Filsell

I cannot think other than  being 'overly bothered' is  a necessary requirement for being a formista 😂

Gareth Davies
On 05/08/2019 at 12:35, Steven Broomfield said:

I'm less familiar with his work, but yes, from what I have seen I won't disagree.

His production (he was the director) of 'To The Green Fields' at the Donmar was excellent.

Norrette
On 10/08/2019 at 20:42, Steven Broomfield said:

That is possibly the funniest comment I have seen in a good while. Under-stated and droll. 

Doubt if it'll earn me survival tokens in skindles.