Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

Did anybody spot the resonance with Weir's Gallipoli in that it seems to focus on a race to stop a doomed attack ?

2 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Did anybody spot the resonance with Weir's Gallipoli in that it seems to focus on a race to stop a doomed attack ?

Yes, Mr. B in post 120.

2 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Yes, Mr. B in post 120.

Thank you. I was just about to say that. I added Private Ryan, as it appears that he also has to save his brother (or someone's brother).

Derivative tosh, then.

From IMDB

'Two young British soldiers during the First World War, are given an impossible mission: deliver a message, deep in enemy territory, that will stop their own men, and Blake's own brother, walking straight into a deadly trap.'

That does seem a little confusing to me.  Am I to assume that the soldiers for whom the message is intended are behind enemy lines?  'Deep in enemy territory' does seem to indicate that, but I wonder if the film explains how they got there, and how two soldiers are expected to reach them.

I notice, also, from IMDB, that it is the director's first screenwriting credit, alongside Krysty Wilson-Cairns.  I wonder what they used for inspiration?

I wish someone would produce a decent film of 'Mr Standfast' or 'Greenmantle' instead of going to the effort of devising a whole new plot....

18 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I wish someone would produce a decent film of 'Mr Standfast' or 'Greenmantle' instead of going to the effort of devising a whole new plot....

I'd help you crowd-fund that. (What about a decent movie of the same author's History of the 15th (Scottish) Division? Might be quite a big-budget job, but, well-done, it would be a cracker)

Would Mr Standfast tick any currenly fashionable boxes ?  Just wonderin'  as Hannay sometimes pops up on Talking Pictures.   I'm just curious as to what the ideological trajectory of '1917' will be.  We've had 'War is Hell'  in all its facets by now and fully explored in 'Warhorse'.  Kevin Spacey isn't in it and Harvey Weinstein had nothing to do with it so it might be fancied for an Oscar if it hits the right notes.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

5 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Would Mr Standfast tick any currenly fashionable boxes ?  Just wonderin'  as Hannay sometimes pops up on Talking Pictures.  Does it have potential for injecting themes of diversity ?

Well, Mr Standfast had a South African farmer (or 'Boer') as central character so ... oh yes ... I see the problem ...

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 21:37, Steven Broomfield said:

You see, that's where you and I differ. The mere word 'Spielberg' set my teeth on edge.

And Sam Mendes is another red flag.

33 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

I'm less familiar with his work, but yes, from what I have seen I won't disagree.

What is it that Benedict Cumberbatch says in the clip ?  I caught something about, 'all that matters is the last man standing'. 

Edited by Hyacinth1326

7 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

Looking at his credits as director I find that I haven't seen any of ;his films.  Am I missing anything?

Back to '1917', and looking at the technical credits, I noticed that the makeup department included 'Chris Lyons - special effects teeth'.

... I wonder if they have tried to recreate some of the teeth featured in 'They Shall Not Grow Old'?
Edited by 593jones

On 03/08/2019 at 23:13, Tomb1302 said:

Perhaps an absolutely ridiculous statement, but, is it possible the scene of the soldier running parallel to the trenches on grass that is 'too' green may be a vision or dream sequence?

What do others think of this?

Surely a First World War movie with a budget like this can't possibly neglect the state of a battlefield...?

Nobody had any opinion on this?

I enjoyed Skyfall.  Bond was given some depth.

'I wonder if they have tried to recreate some of the teeth featured in 'They Shall Not Grow Old'?.  

or someone with severe facial injury.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Arggghhhhhh Cumberpatch

FFS.jpg

1 hour ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

At a tangent: I have only ever seen one Bond movie. Whn in the world of work employment, I used to love those ice-breaker sessions where we'd have to nominate our favourite Bond villain, or Bond movie ... I could honestly say that I couldn't remember which Bond film i saw so could I sit that bit out please.

3 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

Nobody had any opinion on this?

I think the whole film is a dream by Sam Mendes after having had too much cheese.

That vibrantly green grass juxtaposed against the chalk might have been a stylistic decision.  Aesthetic considerations often win out over material fact.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

22 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

'I wonder if they have tried to recreate some of the teeth featured in 'They Shall Not Grow Old'?.  

or someone with severe facial injury.

Nah, my money's on the bad teeth!

The Times newspaper today carries a prominent article on the provenance of this film.

Apparently, Sam Mendes ‘ grandfather was a Portuguese creole from Trinidad who volunteered to join the British army and served in the Ypres Salient.  He was awarded the Military Medal for his conduct at the Battle of Poelcappelle : presumably, this is what inspired the story depicted in the film.

If this is the case, then I feel less predisposed to write it off.

Phil

That’s a very interesting forbear for Mr Mendes to have.  However on the basis of the clip his authenticity does not appear to have informed the mise en scene.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

1 hour ago, phil andrade said:

The Times newspaper today carries a prominent article on the provenance of this film.

Apparently, Sam Mendes ‘ grandfather was a Portuguese creole from Trinidad who volunteered to join the British army and served in the Ypres Salient.  He was awarded the Military Medal for his conduct at the Battle of Poelcappelle : presumably, this is what inspired the story depicted in the film.

If this is the case, then I feel less predisposed to write it off.

Phil

Having read the piece, which was pretty much a rehash of a publicists handout I suspect, I am even more predisposed to write it off. How often are new members warned to beware family myth when researching their encestors' war history?

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 19:35, 593jones said:

Looking at his credits as director I find that I haven't seen any of ;his films.  Am I missing anything?

No. 

Edited by Heid the Ba