Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

48 minutes ago, maxi said:

Is Clumberbunch playing a chirpy cockney or a jocular scouser?

Or has he stretched his acting range to playing an upper class officer?

He has already played an upper class officer, in ‘Parade’s End’ which incidentally I thought was quite good.

Cheers Martin B

2 hours ago, David Filsell said:

I have often wondered if when they call that particular actor for a scene they say, "Que Cumberbatch"!

That one is growing on me!

Hello

I'm happy to see a Great War movie coming on the big screen.

These big $ movies certainly have top notch historical advisors.

But.... I have spotted several things and have questions or remarks:

-one of the two main characters wears a Brodie helmet with an metal insignia attached (like the french Adrian helmets) (picture attached). I've never seen such a helmet, I've seen Brodie helmets with painted insignias but not metal insignia. Any hint on this?

-the troops are going over the top in a totally green no man's land, absolutely no shellholes, and look at those trenches on the right, they seem to be absolutely not prepared, only white clay....

-now, these two lance corporals are advancing cautiously using what seems to be a progression position (gun under the shoulder) of the nowadays special forces. But I'm not very familiar with  the british army drill.

What do you think?

nomansland.jpg

brodie2.jpg

brodie.jpg

52 minutes ago, bonzillou said:

What do you think?

I think the whole thing looks like utter bollox, personally.

This thread is making me love the people in this forum more and more!

Utterly hilarious and amazing reactions to the film!

3 hours ago, phil andrade said:

Utter ?  Not even partial ?

Phil

No. Utter.

It will be the same as the recent Dunkirk movie: mastery of the cinematographer's art form but soulless, unrealistic, unbelievable plot lines and so many big names that you spend your time wondering what they're doing in such a pile of horse poo.

3 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

This thread is making me love the people in this forum more and more!

Utterly hilarious and amazing reactions to the film!

Don't thank us. It's a pleasure!

I had some hopes for this film, but on the evidence of the trailer it looks like they are to be dashed.  Mind you, I enjoyed the scene where a shell explodes about ten feet behind the running soldier and he is completely unscathed.

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Deliberately missed the remake of Journeys End, I shall deliberately miss this one.

Actually, that was a Good Film. I suggest you track it down: I was very pleasantly surprised. Stuck to the story, used proper re-enactors (Taff Gillingham's crew) and was very loyal to its subject.

Also low budget and no massive luvviedom's egoes to massage.

1 hour ago, 593jones said:

I had some hopes for this film, 

You see, that's where you and I differ. The mere word 'Spielberg' set my teeth on edge.

7 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Actually, that was a Good Film. I suggest you track it down: I was very pleasantly surprised. Stuck to the story, used proper re-enactors (Taff Gillingham's crew) and was very loyal to its subject.

7 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I think the whole thing looks like utter bollox, personally.

I agree with Steven.

1 hour ago, David Filsell said:

Deliberately missed the remake of Journeys End, I shall deliberately miss this one.

Journey's End was worth watching - at least, I thought so.

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Journey's End was worth watching - at least, I thought so.

I thought it was a great movie.

14 minutes ago, Jervis said:

I thought it was a great movie.

Glad I'm not alone!

1 minute ago, seaJane said:

Glad I'm not alone!

+1

2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Glad I'm not alone!

Halfway through it.

+1/2.

Perhaps an absolutely ridiculous statement, but, is it possible the scene of the soldier running parallel to the trenches on grass that is 'too' green may be a vision or dream sequence?

What do others think of this?

Surely a First World War movie with a budget like this can't possibly neglect the state of a battlefield...?

On 02/08/2019 at 18:49, maxi said:

Is Clumberbunch playing a chirpy cockney or a jocular scouser?

Or has he stretched his acting range to playing an upper class officer...

On 02/08/2019 at 19:40, Martin Bennitt said:

He has already played an upper class officer, in ‘Parade’s End’ which incidentally I thought was quite good.

And Major Jamie Stewart in "War Horse".

Cue for us to start debating the merits - or lack of merits -  (again) of this film, also produced by Steven Spielberg.

It's early on Sunday morning, so I'm struggling to work out whether Maxi was being sarcastic, suggesting that Cumberbatch often plays upper-class officers and seldom, if ever, ventures down-market. He does have the lineage:  He's a grandson of submarine commander Henry Carlton Cumberbatch, and a great-grandson of diplomat Henry Arnold Cumberbatch CMG. He attended  Harrow School."

Moonraker

11 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Also low budget and no massive luvviedom's egoes to massage.

You see, that's where you and I differ. The mere word 'Spielberg' set my teeth on edge.

Do any pals remember watching a BBC TV drama of Journey’s End in the 1980s ?

That stays in my mind as remarkably good : certainly quite understated and convincing  when compared with that ludicrous - but gripping - Monocled Mutineer that had been broadcast a few years earlier. 

If anyone can summon up a link to that BBC Journey’s End, I would be grateful.  It’d be interesting to see if it still looks decent.

Editing here : just seen a ten minute vignette from it on YouTube. It featured Edward Petherbridge cast as “ Uncle”.

He reminds me of someone....Jeremy Corbyn !  The thing was screened in 1988 ( I suppose the 70th anniversary of the Kaiserslacht ).  The scene confirms my high regard for the tone of the production. It might not satisfy anoraks in terms of uniforms etc...but it still looks good, to me at least.

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

Here is a link to a previous discussion about it -

9 hours ago, seaJane said:

Glad I'm not alone!

See post 144. We are not alone.

3 hours ago, Moonraker said:

And Major Jamie Stewart in "War Horse".

Cue for us to start debating the merits - or lack of merits -  (again) of this film, also produced by Steven Spielberg.

Moonraker

No. Please God .. no. I sat through the sodding thing in the cinema (paid good money yoo) and the memory still wakes me, screaming, at night.

I didn't like what I saw in the clip but I am reserving judgement until I have seen the film.