Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

Does make me laugh how these threads quickly morph into a barrage of quips :D

I don't know anything about Mr S, his personality, etc., but to have picked such a specific year of the war AND to work on it after the centenary ... 

The timing suggests it's not a centenary-bandwagon driven film?

The cast suggests a high budget production so he's not messing around?

Dare I whisper this quietly enough to not jinx it - could be promising? :ph34r:

Edited by steve fuller
typo

11 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

Dare I whisper this quietly enough to not jinx it - could be promising? :ph34r:

Were it not for his inability to avoid slapping a huge layer of schmaltz over everything.

35 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Were it not for his inability to avoid slapping a huge layer of schmaltz over everything.

What? You mean E.T. wasn't real? :unsure: Go and wash your mouth out Sir :whistle:

Edited by steve fuller

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It looks like Messines if the uniforms are anything to go by (set photos) 

10th Batallion Cheshires 25th Division 

either Messines or Paschendaele but as there’s a farm my moneys on the Messines Attack 

No Americans in sight so despite all the pessimism I think we’re in for a proper war film 👍

• 1 month later...

This one, I'll be avoiding in the theaters!

Really hoping they deliver and truly capture the important elements of WWI.

Nice green grass. Nice white chalk.

For what it is worth the wiki page has the précis:

"At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers, Blake’s own brother among them."

This may be in the trailer, I can't get the sound to work. 

Edited by Heid the Ba

Saving Private Ryan meets Gallipoli then

1 hour ago, Gareth Davies said:

Nice green grass. Nice white chalk.

Probably nice white teeth, too.

8 hours ago, Tomb1302 said:

Really hoping they deliver and truly capture the important elements of WWI.

Yes, quite. 

32 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

For what it is worth the wiki page has the précis:

"At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers, Blake’s own brother among them."

This may be in the trailer, I can't get the sound to work. 

It did. Lots of important-sounding music, too. Plus the guns going 'Boom boom boom'

6 minutes ago, Heid the Ba said:

Guns go "boom".  Noted.

Was there any explanation why such an important mission was trusted to two young privates? 

With respect, it seems from the trailer at least one of them is a lance-corporal. Why he wasn't shot for running the wrong way across no man's land without a helmet or rifle I will not bother to find out. Looks a right load of codswallop, as is this review of the trailer in Military Times (?)

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/08/01/the-first-trailer-for-the-star-studded-world-war-i-film-1917-is-here-and-its-a-must-see/

Cheers Martin B

My apologies, and congratulations to the young man on his promotion.  I did wonder why no-one in the advancing unit decked him but was too polite to ask. He's obviously a rum sort, he's still a private in Afghanistan in "Sunshine on Leith".

Awww 'Sunshine on Leith'.  That's where I've seen him.  Long tour of duty then.  

So it's about battalion runners ?  Arras through to Passchendaele or even Cambrai ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326

3 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

With respect, it seems from the trailer at least one of them is a lance-corporal. Why he wasn't shot for running the wrong way across no man's land without a helmet or rifle I will not bother to find out. Looks a right load of codswallop, as is this review of the trailer in Military Times (?)

https://www.militarytimes.com/off-duty/military-culture/2019/08/01/the-first-trailer-for-the-star-studded-world-war-i-film-1917-is-here-and-its-a-must-see/

Cheers Martin B

That review was awful, I agree.

1 hour ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

So it's about battalion runners ?  Arras through to Passchendaele or even Cambrai ?

That's a long way to run. Perhaps he had a bike for the long straight roads.

3 hours ago, Martin Bennitt said:

That was a hugely analytical review, wasn't it? Makes me think the movie might be neary as good unmissable as the recent Dunkirk farrago.

1 minute ago, Steven Broomfield said:

That was a hugely analytical review, wasn't it? Makes me think the movie might be neary as good unmissable as the recent Dunkirk farrago.

Oh come on now Steven, at least they spelt the name correctly from an English point of view.

And it does have Bethany Clumberbunch in it.

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

What a dire movie that was (except the RAF scenes), the only good thing about it was the fact that I managed to find a movie called "Weekend at Dunkirk", which I saw as a kid but couldn`t remember it`s name.

As for "1917", the storyline of some blokes setting out on a special mission to stop another bloke getting killed in a war.... Maybe "Saving Private Jones" sounded too familiar a title.

I thought Dunkirk's visuals were quite stunning, but, I was, as a Frenchman, disappointed to see us underrepresented throughout.

The aerial combat was quite disappointing as well seeing as only 5 or 6 planes were depicted throughout.

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And it does have Bethany Clumberbunch in it.

Is Clumberbunch playing a chirpy cockney or a jocular scouser?

Or has he stretched his acting range to playing an upper class officer?

I was considering going to see this film in one of those special cinemas where the seats kick the cr&p out of you when something explodes on screen. But now that I see he is in it, might give it a swerve.