Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Spielberg's new film '1917'


Mark Hone
 Share

Recommended Posts

I haven’t seen it, being cheapskate waiting for it to be available for free. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Amazon, but as I loathed Dunkirk and didn’t bother with Warhorse, perhaps not. The Colditz Story was on this week, now that is a spiffing film. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

I haven’t seen it, being cheapskate waiting for it to be available for free. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Amazon, but as I loathed Dunkirk and didn’t bother with Warhorse, perhaps not. The Colditz Story was on this week, now that is a spiffing film. 

 

I would compare 1917 to Dr Johnson's view of the Giant's Causeway.

 

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see. It was better than Dunkirk (it would struggle to be worse, I suppose).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

 

I would compare 1917 to Dr Johnson's view of the Giant's Causeway.

 

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see. It was better than Dunkirk (it would struggle to be worse, I suppose).

 

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

Such as the fact that the Spitfeuer had almost unlimited ammunition. You should be grateful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Wexflyer said:

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

It did indeed.

Including the secret Dunkirk 21st century container port cranes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2020 at 22:00, Wexflyer said:

 

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

Such as the fact that the Spitfeuer had almost unlimited ammunition. You should be grateful!

 I learned that the best way to ditch a Spitfire was with the canopy closed, because it's not like you'd want to get out in a hurry, is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2020 at 22:00, Wexflyer said:

 

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

Such as the fact that the Spitfeuer had almost unlimited ammunition. You should be grateful!

When the 'Spitfire' burned on the beach it could be seen that instead of a Merlin engine is was propelled along by a steel pole, I never never knew that...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

When the 'Spitfire' burned on the beach it could be seen that instead of a Merlin engine is was propelled along by a steel pole, I never never knew that...

 

Yes, you would have thought that the film makers would have found an old Merlin engine to put in the mock up to make it look authentic.  Cheapskates!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2020 at 22:27, keithfazzani said:

I haven’t seen it, being cheapskate waiting for it to be available for free. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Amazon, but as I loathed Dunkirk and didn’t bother with Warhorse, perhaps not. The Colditz Story was on this week, now that is a spiffing film. 

 

Which one do you mean??? I thought there were more, but if there's a good one, I could get my mom the DVD... or the link. 

 

M.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Well, now that Amazon Prime is available on Sky I was able to watch 1917 without paying any extra. Whilst my wife and my mother watched the final of Strictly which I avoid like the plague, I sat down to watch 1917. I am not at all sure that watching Strictly wouldn’t have been preferable. Awful film, I did stick it to the end, I have no idea why I just thought it must get better or have a story line somewhere, but of course it didn’t. When he ended up in a room with a baby in a drawer I wondered if I was dreaming. It then continued to go downhill. Sorry folks but a film with no redeeming features. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

Well, now that Amazon Prime is available on Sky I was able to watch 1917 without paying any extra. Whilst my wife and my mother watched the final of Strictly which I avoid like the plague, I sat down to watch 1917. I am not at all sure that watching Strictly wouldn’t have been preferable. Awful film, I did stick it to the end, I have no idea why I just thought it must get better or have a story line somewhere, but of course it didn’t. When he ended up in a room with a baby in a drawer I wondered if I was dreaming. It then continued to go downhill. Sorry folks but a film with no redeeming features. 

 

And, of course, the 2017 Dunkirk is on over the holiday programme. Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And, of course, the 2017 Dunkirk is on over the holiday programme. Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?

 

    I think you may speak in haste young Broomfield.  There is no need to wait for Strictly Come Midwife on Ice Eastenders Street Personality of the Year.  The television schedules for this very day have a kinematic treat for you:

 

Sony Movies Action  -Channel 41: The Great War

   This makes "1917" look like the kinematic masterpiece it actually is-if only by comparison. And, you lucky people, there are repeats.  :wub:

(Though it does also have "Master and Commander" on earlier-always worth watching....every week or so. Looks like a close run thing as to whether "Kind Hearts and Coronets" or "Its a Wonderful Life" will be shown on the maximum number of channels the maximum number of times.  So get your popcorn ready and open up a bottle of Old Peculier for this historical treat.

 

The Great War

 
The Great War

Steven Luke (2019)

 92min
15 Certificate
Today 9pm - 9:55pm Sony Movies Action

 

  •  

REVIEW

OUR SCORE     
First World War drama about the effort to rescue a troop of African-American soldiers caught behind enemy lines.

SUMMARY

During the final days of the First World War, a group of US soldiers must undertake a daring mission to rescue a platoon who are trapped deep behind enemy lines. War drama, starring Billy Zane, Ron Perlman and Bates Wilder.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?


Just after the acclaimed BBC documentary “Dan Snows History of Strictly Come Dancing”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

    I think you may speak in haste young Broomfield.  There is no need to wait for Strictly Come Midwife on Ice Eastenders Street Personality of the Year.  The television schedules for this very day have a kinematic treat for you:

 

Sony Movies Action  -Channel 41: The Great War

   

 

 

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

 

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse ...

 

    Ah, but Santa's seasonal offerings  betoken intellectual richness beyond the dreams of avarice.  "The Great War" was released on DVD in February- so you will be able to write a review of the DVD for Amazon after you have purchased it.  No need to be glum......

 

image.png.2998bb3d58c4fc8e8d31e30a7289ee0d.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

  It seems that the film production accountants  had the last laugh after all.  It was the most lucrative film at the UK box office last year-taking more than twice as much as the No2 slot:

 

image.png.e20fb180ccf30965d2e21327c8f4f165.png

 

Personally, I found "Sonic the Hedgehog"  much, much more factually accurate about the Great War than the winner...........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

  It seems that the film production accountants  had the last laugh after all.  It was the most lucrative film at the UK box office last year-taking more than twice as much as the No2 slot:

 

image.png.e20fb180ccf30965d2e21327c8f4f165.png

 

Personally, I found "Sonic the Hedgehog"  much, much more factually accurate about the Great War than the winner...........

Well there was not much to see in 2020 was there? We went to see Tenet before the current lockdown. Weird.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Just saw 1917 and well found it only average. Did not care for the characters. Film lagged in a few places such as with the woman/child. Germans too one sided. A one time viewing type of film. Schofield character did look like some drawings of GW infantry I have seen. Blake was too fat to be veteran frontline infantry.  Well my opinion.

1806196

Edited by Felix C
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...