Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

I haven’t seen it, being cheapskate waiting for it to be available for free. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Amazon, but as I loathed Dunkirk and didn’t bother with Warhorse, perhaps not. The Colditz Story was on this week, now that is a spiffing film. 

14 minutes ago, keithfazzani said:

I haven’t seen it, being cheapskate waiting for it to be available for free. Perhaps I’ll take a look on Amazon, but as I loathed Dunkirk and didn’t bother with Warhorse, perhaps not. The Colditz Story was on this week, now that is a spiffing film. 

I would compare 1917 to Dr Johnson's view of the Giant's Causeway.

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see. It was better than Dunkirk (it would struggle to be worse, I suppose).

15 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I would compare 1917 to Dr Johnson's view of the Giant's Causeway.

Worth seeing, but not worth going to see. It was better than Dunkirk (it would struggle to be worse, I suppose).

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

Such as the fact that the Spitfeuer had almost unlimited ammunition. You should be grateful!

58 minutes ago, Wexflyer said:

Oh come now, Dunkirk revealed reams of previously unknown classified information! 

It did indeed.

Including the secret Dunkirk 21st century container port cranes.

On 19/10/2020 at 22:00, Wexflyer said:

Such as the fact that the Spitfeuer had almost unlimited ammunition. You should be grateful!

I learned that the best way to ditch a Spitfire was with the canopy closed, because it's not like you'd want to get out in a hurry, is it?

On 19/10/2020 at 22:00, Wexflyer said:

When the 'Spitfire' burned on the beach it could be seen that instead of a Merlin engine is was propelled along by a steel pole, I never never knew that...

52 minutes ago, stripeyman said:

When the 'Spitfire' burned on the beach it could be seen that instead of a Merlin engine is was propelled along by a steel pole, I never never knew that...

Yes, you would have thought that the film makers would have found an old Merlin engine to put in the mock up to make it look authentic.  Cheapskates!

On 19/10/2020 at 22:27, keithfazzani said:

Which one do you mean??? I thought there were more, but if there's a good one, I could get my mom the DVD... or the link. 

M.

There is a black and white film and the tv series. I meant the film.

• 1 month later...

Well, now that Amazon Prime is available on Sky I was able to watch 1917 without paying any extra. Whilst my wife and my mother watched the final of Strictly which I avoid like the plague, I sat down to watch 1917. I am not at all sure that watching Strictly wouldn’t have been preferable. Awful film, I did stick it to the end, I have no idea why I just thought it must get better or have a story line somewhere, but of course it didn’t. When he ended up in a room with a baby in a drawer I wondered if I was dreaming. It then continued to go downhill. Sorry folks but a film with no redeeming features. 

13 hours ago, keithfazzani said:

Well, now that Amazon Prime is available on Sky I was able to watch 1917 without paying any extra. Whilst my wife and my mother watched the final of Strictly which I avoid like the plague, I sat down to watch 1917. I am not at all sure that watching Strictly wouldn’t have been preferable. Awful film, I did stick it to the end, I have no idea why I just thought it must get better or have a story line somewhere, but of course it didn’t. When he ended up in a room with a baby in a drawer I wondered if I was dreaming. It then continued to go downhill. Sorry folks but a film with no redeeming features. 

And, of course, the 2017 Dunkirk is on over the holiday programme. Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?

7 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

And, of course, the 2017 Dunkirk is on over the holiday programme. Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?

I think you may speak in haste young Broomfield.  There is no need to wait for Strictly Come Midwife on Ice Eastenders Street Personality of the Year.  The television schedules for this very day have a kinematic treat for you:

Sony Movies Action  -Channel 41: The Great War

This makes "1917" look like the kinematic masterpiece it actually is-if only by comparison. And, you lucky people, there are repeats.  :wub:

(Though it does also have "Master and Commander" on earlier-always worth watching....every week or so. Looks like a close run thing as to whether "Kind Hearts and Coronets" or "Its a Wonderful Life" will be shown on the maximum number of channels the maximum number of times.  So get your popcorn ready and open up a bottle of Old Peculier for this historical treat.

The Great War

The Great War

Steven Luke (2019)

92min
15 Certificate
Today 9pm - 9:55pm Sony Movies Action

•  

REVIEW

OUR SCORE     
First World War drama about the effort to rescue a troop of African-American soldiers caught behind enemy lines.

SUMMARY

During the final days of the First World War, a group of US soldiers must undertake a daring mission to rescue a platoon who are trapped deep behind enemy lines. War drama, starring Billy Zane, Ron Perlman and Bates Wilder.

14 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Is there a Mrs Brown's Boys on Ice Celebrity Special to watch?

Just after the acclaimed BBC documentary “Dan Snows History of Strictly Come Dancing”

I think you may speak in haste young Broomfield.  There is no need to wait for Strictly Come Midwife on Ice Eastenders Street Personality of the Year.  The television schedules for this very day have a kinematic treat for you:

Sony Movies Action  -Channel 41: The Great War

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse ...

3 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse ...

Ah, but Santa's seasonal offerings  betoken intellectual richness beyond the dreams of avarice.  "The Great War" was released on DVD in February- so you will be able to write a review of the DVD for Amazon after you have purchased it.  No need to be glum......

image.png.2998bb3d58c4fc8e8d31e30a7289ee0d.png

• 1 month later...

It seems that the film production accountants  had the last laugh after all.  It was the most lucrative film at the UK box office last year-taking more than twice as much as the No2 slot:

image.png.e20fb180ccf30965d2e21327c8f4f165.png

Personally, I found "Sonic the Hedgehog"  much, much more factually accurate about the Great War than the winner...........

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that the film production accountants  had the last laugh after all.  It was the most lucrative film at the UK box office last year-taking more than twice as much as the No2 slot:

image.png.e20fb180ccf30965d2e21327c8f4f165.png

Personally, I found "Sonic the Hedgehog"  much, much more factually accurate about the Great War than the winner...........

Well there was not much to see in 2020 was there? We went to see Tenet before the current lockdown. Weird.....

• 3 weeks later...

Just saw 1917 and well found it only average. Did not care for the characters. Film lagged in a few places such as with the woman/child. Germans too one sided. A one time viewing type of film. Schofield character did look like some drawings of GW infantry I have seen. Blake was too fat to be veteran frontline infantry.  Well my opinion.

Edited by Felix C

• 10 months later...

Just got around to watching this on Netflix and generally enjoyed it..

The script was so so and, of course, the whole premise was rather unbelievable - wouldn't they have just sent a plane to drop a message? As always the German 'sniper' must have been the worst shot in the whole German Army. But let's not be too picky and I was really impressed with the cinematography, the battlefield landscapes, the 'look of the soldiers and, for the most part, the acting.

Obviously there has to be a balance between historical accuracy and the practicalities of script and filming. However, I am sure the instructions that the 2 NCOs were given was to go to Ecoust and exit the town to the east to Croisilles Wood even though Croisilles is to the NW of Ecoust. It seems an odd thing to get wrong - or have I missed something?

Neil

31 minutes ago, Neil Mackenzie said:

the cinematography, the battlefield landscapes, the 'look of the soldiers and, for the most part, the acting.

OK.

So apart from:
the cinematography,
the battlefield landscapes,
the look of the soldiers,
for the most part, the acting
and the unexpected waterfall,

what did Stephen Spielberg ever do for our understanding of the Great War?

On 15/01/2022 at 23:21, RedCoat said:

part from all the glaring inaccuracies - I am sick of being force fed diversity quotas. For that reason alone I would have given "1917" a big thumbs down.

Without being too political, white actors have been playing non-white characters for at least 100 years without it stopping most of us watching the films in question ("A Passage to India" springs to mind) so I don't think that is a major issue.

Neil

On 15/01/2022 at 23:21, RedCoat said:

https://www.oscars.org/news/academy-establishes-representation-and-inclusion-standards-oscarsr-eligibility

Apart from all the glaring inaccuracies - I am sick of being force fed diversity quotas. For that reason alone I would have given "1917" a big thumbs down.

Cheers

I agree , ruined it for me .