Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

Or Lumsden after his dismissal by Montgomery :

There’s not enough room in the Desert for two ***** .

Phil

58 minutes ago, phil andrade said:

Was the Great War generation more “ prissy” than others ?

Officers effed and blinded in other eras.

Phil

I suppose what drew the attention to it in the film was that the officers appeared to be swearing more than the other ranks . 

Managed to get to see the film last week, and enjoyed it.

A couple of things - in my part of the world, anyone called Schofield was always nicknamed "Scush" so the nickname they used seemed strange; could just be me, though.

The other minor point: I haven't gone back over the 37 pages of comments, so I might be repeating something already covered;

Schofield said he'd been on the Somme the previous year and been given an award, but he'd swapped the medal (or "bit of tin" I think he called it)  for a bottle of wine.

I thought the medals weren't given out until after the war.  Certainly my ancestor wore the Belgian Croix de Guerre ribbon on his tunic but the family didn't receive the medal until after 1918.

Perhaps someone can provide more accurate information on this?

12 hours ago, Interested said:

Schofield said he'd been on the Somme the previous year and been given an award, but he'd swapped the medal (or "bit of tin" I think he called it)  for a bottle of wine.

I thought the medals weren't given out until after the war.  Certainly my ancestor wore the Belgian Croix de Guerre ribbon on his tunic but the family didn't receive the medal until after 1918.

Perhaps someone can provide more accurate information on this?

The inference I drew was that he'd been decorated (or 'awarded' as the BBC would say) for gallantry. I assume it's a cack-handed reference to Sassoon chucking his MC ribbon in the sea. Yet another of thus woke incidents which served to make the film so tedious.

58 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Yet another of thus woke incidents which served to make the film so tedious.

Did you go and see it then Mr B?

50 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Did you go and see it then Mr B?

Of course. 

• 2 months later...

Well? Did it live up to expectation? Like Gareth I live near the set. I don’t profess to be a WW1 expert like Gareth but I was profoundly disappointed with the film. Cinematography brilliant. Some of the sets were good. But the story was completely implausible. The topography was confusing to say the least and the breakout from trenches to green fields really wound me up. Spielbergs War Horse was a lot better 

On 23/05/2020 at 12:56, Blue Dragoon said:

Spielbergs War Horse was a lot better 

a bit saccharine some might observe

• Admin

Should you wish to part with your hard earned cash, 1917 is available to purchase on Sky Box office I see.

18 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Should you wish to part with your hard earned cash, 1917 is available to purchase on Sky Box office I see.

and DVD for around £10

1 hour ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

a bit saccharine some might observe

And far too Equine too.

On 23/05/2020 at 12:56, Blue Dragoon said:

Well? Did it live up to expectation? ... Spielbergs War Horse was a lot better 

I'd say 'down to expectations', and if you think 1917 was implausible, War Horse is utterly unbelievable.

3 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I'd say 'down to expectations', and if you think 1917 was implausible, War Horse is utterly unbelievable.

I haven't seen either yet. I did see Dunkirk and it was possibly the worst film I have ever seen.

Mike

Interesting.

I'd say Dunkirk, War Horse and 1917 make up a unique trilogy of dashed hopes, missed opportunities and victory of style over content. Having used lockdown to re-watch a few real classics (The Cruel Sea, They Were Not Divided, Went the Day Well?, for example), I was  films.struck by the low-key nature and utter believability of the old-school

3 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Interesting.

I'd say Dunkirk, War Horse and 1917 make up a unique trilogy of dashed hopes, missed opportunities and victory of style over content. Having used lockdown to re-watch a few real classics (The Cruel Sea, They Were Not Divided, Went the Day Well?, for example), I was  films.struck by the low-key nature and utter believability of the old-school

Oh,  you mean films with a storyline and acting , rather than CGI cartoons!

21 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Nailed it in one.

On 25/05/2020 at 16:19, Steven Broomfield said:

Nailed it in one.

Absolutely. And add "Fires Were Started" to that list.

On 25/05/2020 at 16:57, GWF1967 said:

I wouldn't put Cruel Sea on the list. The first lieutenant (Bennett) isn't a tenth as nasty as he is in the book; the subs were sunk in the wrong order, and Julie is killed in the book, but survives in the film, presumably to give a nice romantic ending. Nor is there any sense of what the convoys were like. No mention of collecting men thick with oil and coughing their lungs out. No tankers sinking in flames with the men being burned.

I was very disappointed the first time I saw the film, having first read the 'Junior' edition of the book in 1955, and the real book not long thereafter.

Very 1950s stiff upper lip, but not much idea why the lip had to be stiff.

12 hours ago, Nick Beale said:

Absolutely. And add "Fires Were Started" to that list.

TPTV (Talking Pictures TV) has, for some time, been mining the IWM's archives and showing information movies made during the war, many by Jennings. Being TPTV, they are repeated fairly regularly so it is well worth keeping an eye on the schedule. Some have been pretty so-so, but others are utter classics: The New Lot, for example, is the precursor to The Way Ahead, and very enjoyable in its own right. A large number seem to feature Bernard Miles, which is definitely No Bad Thing.

• 1 month later...

Did anyone else notice the dedication at the start of the closing credits.

For Lance Corporal Alfred H Mendes

1st Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps

who told us the stories

I suppose most of the audience for the film would not know the meaning of MM had it been included and would be baffled if it was pointed out to them that in fact he served in 1st Battalion Rifle Brigade, but it seemed to me that if you are going to dedicate a film to somebody it is important to get those details right. 

• 3 months later...

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet it is now available on Amazon Prime Video, for those who subscribe.

On 17/10/2020 at 23:46, jonbem said:

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it yet it is now available on Amazon Prime Video, for those who subscribe.

Was it filmed on the Amazon then?

It would explain the waterfalls...

I thought the only Amazonian involvement on the Western Front were those female snipers.