Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

2 hours ago, sassenach said:

Maybe Lucy Worsley is their fact checker.

Holy Mother of God. Surely there's room for TV's History Guy?

On 15/02/2019 at 18:51, Moonraker said:

We are way off topic, and it's partly my fault, and no doubt when the mods awake from their late afternoon snoozes they will act. Until they do, wasn't it just to confirm that he was still active?

Folks

Can we get back strictly to the original topic and keep the distractions for Skindles. We really don't get any pleasure out of the other options - closing down or deleting topics, running through themremoving the funnies and distractions, or just moving the whole show to Skindles.

We are running short of Mod resources at present for reasons that are not relevant to this, and we don't, never have read every post - we rely on the members to report that which is not right.

Thanks

Keith Roberts

This

According to a local news website there is speculation (AKA social media chatter) that a film set currently being constructed on Hankley Common (an open access MOD training area) near Elstead here in Surrey is also for '1917'  Large film set under construction at Hankley Common near Farnham 

It's quite possible to jump to the conclusion that this is the case: The planning application (WA/2019/0050) with the local authority (Waverley) give Planit Consulting as the applicant as given for the Wiltshire application given in Gareth's earlier post (#6), but, of course, as they're in the business of planning consultancy generally, so it could be for another film altogether. However,  the support document for the application ( http://planning360.waverley.gov.uk/civica/Resource/Civica/Handler.ashx/Doc/pagestream?cd=inline&pdf=true&docno=7196553 ) does give:

The extend of the areas to be used for filming are shown below:
(1) Cliff base scene and associated filming area
(2) Camp

and diagrams within this do  show a variety of tents (including a marquee & bell ) for the 'camp' which possibly do indicate a Great War flavour for this set

As an aside, Hankley Common was used during WWII for military training which included the construction of a replica section of  the Atlantic wall by Canadian troops for D-Day assault practise, which  still - although damaged during the exercises - remain (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hankley_Common which also gives  details of other films made there which might be of interest to fans of James Bond, Dr Who, Blackadder, Ultimate Force & Tenko)

NigelS

I have also been training on Hankley Common, in my days in the TA, when we stood between Britain and the Soviet hordes. I admit to having never met a Soviet horde.

2 hours ago, paulgranger said:

I have also been training on Hankley Common, in my days in the TA, when we stood between Britain and the Soviet hordes. I admit to having never met a Soviet horde.

#MeToo

BBC website has a new update- regarding shooting   of his film "1917" in Glasgow:

( A few episodes of Rab C.Nesbitt on DVD should amply supply Mr Spielberg with the cultural background to Glasgow)  :wub:)

Steven Spielberg movie applies to film in Glasgow

Plans have been submitted to film scenes for a Hollywood movie in Glasgow.

Veteran producer Steven Spielberg's film 1917 has asked to shoot in the city's A-listed Govan Graving Docks.

Planning documents show the World War One drama, directed by Sam Mendes, would construct a film set which includes a bridge over a canal.

Filmmakers said the disused Glasgow dockland was an "ideal location" for the scene.

The planning application asks for "temporary planning permission" for use of land for film-making.

The land would be used for 10 weeks - from 22 April until 28 June - to set up, film on and dismantle the set.

Filming is expected to take four days, from 11 to 14 June.

Derelict Graving DocksImage copyright Google

The dry docks were originally built for the Clyde Navigation Trust between 1869 to 1898 and were in use until 1988.

Plans for the site's redevelopment were rejected last year.

BBC Scotland News understands that the council's film office has been in discussions with the production.

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council confirmed that a planning application had been submitted.

Well I hope they include the Spanish Flu. I think it killed more US soldiers than combat did. May not make for an exciting film though.

9 hours ago, paulgranger said:

6 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

#MeToo

Is that training on Hankley Common, not having met a Soviet horde, or both?  We deserve to know...

NigelS

Both.

My happiest memory of Hankley Common was a night patrol: I was last man in the section, so had to keep turning to check the rear of our patrol. I did so, turned round again and realised that the chap in front of me had disappeared. It was extremely dark and I was peering into the gloom trying to work out what to do, when I heard some extremely bad language coming from in front, but below.

On investigation it turned out that the chap in front of me had walked into a slit trench some thoughtless oaf had left lying round.

No harm done (except to my sensibilities - the language was shocking) and did we chuckle over it later.

Maybe the film is about U-boats

On 10/02/2019 at 00:12, 593jones said:

You'll be handy when they're looking for extras then!

They've been advertising for "men of military age" to audition for this, locally.  Which given they have a big Rolodex of local extras from War Horse, is unsurprising.  Sadly I would need to wear a piece and pancake on the foundation at 57.  They weren't as fussy with War Horse especially if you were a horseman...

26 minutes ago, BullerTurner said:

They've been advertising for "men of military age" to audition for this, locally.  Which given they have a big Rolodex of local extras from War Horse, is unsurprising.  Sadly I would need to wear a piece and pancake on the foundation at 57.  They weren't as fussy with War Horse especially if you were a horseman...

Could be like the episode of Dad's Army in which the rather geriatric platoon members used Fraser's embalming fluid to look a bit younger for an annual inspection.

After you with the false choppers.

Incidentally, the local BBC News have noticed this and ran a piece this morning. If you're lucky they will run it again at 6.30 and very possibly at 10.30 as well (assuming they can't find any local connection for Olivia Colman).

2 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Olivia Colman

Saw her in some charity advert on the telly. I don't think she will get any gong or the "hair and make-up" department on that will be up for an award!

Edited by jonbem

17 hours ago, jonbem said:

Saw her in some charity advert on the telly. I don't think she will get any gong or the "hair and make-up" department on that will be up for an award!

If this was in Skindles, I might reply to this boring and irrelevant  male cattiness.

Liz, I agree.

There were some female pilots in the Great War that would make for a good film. If it was about Bessie Coleman that could be tremendous, but would miss the 1917 date...

• Admin

As Keith said a few posts back, please keep this relevant, or it will have to be moved to Skindles. 

Thanks, Michelle 

Dear All,

The US Forces were welcome enough at the time...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

On 26/02/2019 at 14:22, Steven Broomfield said:

Incidentally, the local BBC News have noticed this and ran a piece this morning. If you're lucky they will run it again at 6.30 and very possibly at 10.30 as well (assuming they can't find any local connection for Olivia Colman).

Which they did!!

On topic (someone has to), I'm sort of looking forward to it.

If it's anything like War Horse we can all sit and have a top-notch moan, but if it's any good we can be pleasantly surprised.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of this film will be set at Goven docks Glasgow. The dock will be made to resemble a canal with a broken bridge in the water.

"Flying Fox 2" anyone?

Must surely be aware that America won both World Wars, the British & French acting as 'back up' in WW1 and the British providing a base for the Yanks to liberate Europe in WW2, or have I been watching the wrong films. I actually toured all the D Day landing beaches/Museums etc last year and could not help but notice that the French fly the Star & Stripes in just about every village in Normandy together with their own flag, can't remember seeing a Union Jack anywhere.

Pershing's boys did a fine job of defeating the German Army in WW1 and I'm sure the new film will confirm how they showed us how it should be done!!!

I for one won't be watching it.

Don't forget the Yanks also were the first to retrieve and crack the "Enigma" machine! :whistle: