Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Hone

Spielberg's new film '1917'

Nick Beale
1 hour ago, Open Bolt said:

I have great hopes for it. The aerial sequences ought to be better than we have ever been treated to before including, as Mark says, the relatively recent but awful Red Baron from 2008. I will also concede that CGI will struggle to beat the real thing, and the heyday for that is probably in the past...

On the other hand there's a lot of CGI out there executed without benefit of even elementary research. I know it's the "wrong" war but Enemy At The Gates treated us to Stukas with three bombs under each wing (wrong), plus said bombs had finely-streamlined form such as you might see on a modern fast jet strangely absent in 1942. Then there was TV mini-series which showed Flying Fortresses over Germany (so 1943 or later) under attack by Messerschmitt 109s with tailplane struts and yellow noses (so Summer 1940). And as we know from films and TV, every German aircraft of the Great War was a Fokker triplane painted red overall …

Hyacinth1326

I wonder why Mr Spielberg was drawn to the RFC of 1917 ? You would think his backers would have propelled him towards the Lafayette Squadron rather than doomed British public school boys.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

Moonraker
13 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I wonder what form the diversity aspect will take ?

Eugene Bullard?

From a quick Google, I can't find any references to WWI  Native American pilots, though there might have been some aboriginal ground crew.  Even if there weren't, that wouldn't stop many film-makers including one or two.

Moonraker

T8HANTS
24 minutes ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I wonder why Mr Spielberg was drawn to the RFC of 1917 ? You would think his backers would have propelled him towards the Lafayette Squadron rather than doomed British public school boys.

I presume the usual upper class bully, against the lower class, rising through the ranks, possibly gay earnest chap, who has bit of flunk and is branded the squadron coward.  He is then redeemed by a transferred in hot shot (big star) American, who later shoots down the Red Barron, who has just shot down both upper class bully and heroic young lad, moments after he proved himself after all.  Roll credits America has won again over both ineffectual Brits and dastardly Hun.

17107BM
2 hours ago, T8HANTS said:

I presume the usual upper class bully, against the lower class, rising through the ranks, possibly gay earnest chap, who has bit of flunk and is branded the squadron coward.  He is then redeemed by a transferred in hot shot (big star) American, who later shoots down the Red Barron, who has just shot down both upper class bully and heroic young lad, moments after he proved himself after all.  Roll credits America has won again over both ineffectual Brits and dastardly Hun.

God Dam'It Cut.... Thats It.  There'll be a queuing round the Block for this one. 

From another film.. It's enough to make you weep.

PhilB

Can I be assured that all concerned will have perfect, excruciatingly white teeth?

squirrel
1 hour ago, PhilB said:

Can I be assured that all concerned will have perfect, excruciatingly white teeth?

And immaculately tailored uniforms, not a hair out of place etc.

Steven Broomfield

We are going to have the usual conundrum when it appears: do we want it to be accurate, enjoyable and completely believable ... or would we rather it was a pile of horse poo that we can rip into like proper curmudgeons should?

War Horse or Journey's End?

Open Bolt
15 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I wonder why Mr Spielberg was drawn to the RFC of 1917 ?

I doubt the RFC will make much of an appearance, we shall watch with interest.

nigelcave

Will he have heard of the RNAS, I wonder?

And possibly the French may make a consolation walk (fly?) on part?

Hyacinth1326

I remember enjoying Jack Gold's 'Aces High' as a kid. Then as an adult I began to unpick and unravel it. 'Journey's End'  with SE5s (plus a little fashionable '70s ideology thrown in). Even the SE5s turned out to be Stampe V 4s's.  My view of the film changed over time and maybe that's how it should be with cultural works.   I tend to leave the room now when the bits portraying the  top brass are on. 

And yes, Eugene Bullard looks like an excellent subject for a film in my view.

Edited by Hyacinth1326
can't write and can't spell. Wassock that I am

voltaire60

The stuff from "The Grauniad" about the planning application says:

"The application included a request to “include construction of set and use of adjacent land for support services, associated storage and parking” for up to 500 people. A planning support statement says the main activity will be the construction of a temporary French farmhouse set."

Hmm- seems like it may be "What Price Glory" meets "Young Indiana Jones". 

Must confess that I come from South-West Devon where some of "Warhorse" was set and filmed. Let's hope he can get some proper advice on uniforms and kit this time round- the cavalry in "Warhorse" looked like attendants at a municipal baths.

Moonraker
18 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

... "The application included a request to “include construction of set and use of adjacent land for support services, associated storage and parking” for up to 500 people ...

Should provide some useful trade for local businesses, hotels and so on.

Comments on other films have often variously of clichés, caricatures, unlikely characterisations and implausible plot-line. I've challenged those who've complained about cliched caricatures for their alternative suggestions, but they never have. It'll be interesting to see Steven Spielberg comes up with.

No doubt the cinematography will be first-class and the aerial action spectacular. But I do hope that "schoolboy heroics" will be kept to a minimum.

Moonraker

jonbem
On 14/02/2019 at 07:14, Steven Broomfield said:

We are going to have the usual conundrum when it appears: do we want it to be accurate, enjoyable and completely believable ... or would we rather it was a pile of horse poo that we can rip into like proper curmudgeons should?

War Horse or Journey's End?

Whatever people think of the films, the stage show is back on this year. Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, Performances begin 18 October 2019, for 6 weeks only

I thoroughly enjoyed that when I saw it. You quickly forget the horses are puppets.

WarHorse

Steven Broomfield
18 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Must confess that I come from South-West Devon where some of "Warhorse" was set and filmed. Let's hope he can get some proper advice on uniforms and kit this time round- the cavalry in "Warhorse" looked like attendants at a municipal baths.

I suspect he gets the right advice. Sadly, the right advice is probably not as 'Hollywood' as fancy uniforms and bo££ocks history.

voltaire60
12 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I suspect he gets the right advice. Sadly, the right advice is probably not as 'Hollywood' as fancy uniforms and bo££ocks history.

Steven-May we volunteer your services as a cavalry expert to Mr. Spielberg?  Purely in the interests of international harmony between the United Kingdom and our former secessionist colonies across the water?  "Warhorse" was bad enough-  well,when compared to "Legends of the Fall" it comes out quite well.  Makes "Blackadder" look like a docudrama. 

nigelcave

Not to mention some anachronistic views of pickelhaube being worn in tunnels (supposedly in 1918, IIRC) in the TV adaptation of Birdsong.

voltaire60
2 minutes ago, nigelcave said:

Not to mention some anachronistic views of pickelhaube being worn in tunnels (supposedly in 1918, IIRC) in the TV adaptation of Birdsong.

Let me get this right about "Birdsong"-the British Army was advancing at the end of the war and still had time to dig long tunnels for no good purpose?

Open Bolt

As Blackadder IV used some Aces High footage, perhaps Spielberg is going further back and remaking Howard Hughes's Hell's Angels?

stripeyman
2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Let me get this right about "Birdsong"-the British Army was advancing at the end of the war and still had time to dig long tunnels for no good purpose?

Yes I thought that when I saw it on TV. Absolute rubbish as a film and story.

nigelcave

Apparently not only did they have time to dig tunnels, but great big tall ones, with high, spacious galleries and plenty of space to have a rough house fight - tho' I must admit I could no longer bear it and switched over - horribly better, maybe switched off. Hence the hazy recollection: I put it down to shock.

Moonraker

My pet hate is perfectly-shaved faces after days of deprivation: stuck in the desert, no water, incarcerated, no razor or blade to hand.

Particularly annoying when there's a close-up of the man suffering stoically - it could almost be a commercial for a razor that gives a close shave. At very least they could ask the actor not to shave for a couple of days.

Moonraker

Steven Broomfield
27 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

My pet hate is perfectly-shaved faces after days of deprivation: stuck in the desert, no water, incarcerated, no razor or blade to hand.

Particularly annoying when there's a close-up of the man suffering stoically - it could almost be a commercial for a razor that gives a close shave. At very least they could ask the actor not to shave for a couple of days.

Moonraker

I suppose at least three of these characters got it right after (allegedly) crossing the Egyptian desert.

carlsberg.jpg

PhilB

The "other one" got it right too! I suppose there may be difficulties of continuity if beards are allowed to grow and episodes are filmed out of sequence?

Hyacinth1326

Every night when Van der Pohl Quayle was sneaking out for ablutions when he was actually operating a wireless and in communication with the Wehrmacht, what coruscating information was he meant to be passing on to the enemy about an ambulance in the desert ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326