Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

We are going to have the usual conundrum when it appears: do we want it to be accurate, enjoyable and completely believable ... or would we rather it was a pile of horse poo that we can rip into like proper curmudgeons should?

War Horse or Journey's End?

15 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

I wonder why Mr Spielberg was drawn to the RFC of 1917 ?

I doubt the RFC will make much of an appearance, we shall watch with interest.

I remember enjoying Jack Gold's 'Aces High' as a kid. Then as an adult I began to unpick and unravel it. 'Journey's End'  with SE5s (plus a little fashionable '70s ideology thrown in). Even the SE5s turned out to be Stampe V 4s's.  My view of the film changed over time and maybe that's how it should be with cultural works.   I tend to leave the room now when the bits portraying the  top brass are on. 

And yes, Eugene Bullard looks like an excellent subject for a film in my view.

Edited by Hyacinth1326
can't write and can't spell. Wassock that I am

The stuff from "The Grauniad" about the planning application says:

"The application included a request to “include construction of set and use of adjacent land for support services, associated storage and parking” for up to 500 people. A planning support statement says the main activity will be the construction of a temporary French farmhouse set."

Hmm- seems like it may be "What Price Glory" meets "Young Indiana Jones". 

Must confess that I come from South-West Devon where some of "Warhorse" was set and filmed. Let's hope he can get some proper advice on uniforms and kit this time round- the cavalry in "Warhorse" looked like attendants at a municipal baths.

... "The application included a request to “include construction of set and use of adjacent land for support services, associated storage and parking” for up to 500 people ...

Should provide some useful trade for local businesses, hotels and so on.

Comments on other films have often variously of clichés, caricatures, unlikely characterisations and implausible plot-line. I've challenged those who've complained about cliched caricatures for their alternative suggestions, but they never have. It'll be interesting to see Steven Spielberg comes up with.

No doubt the cinematography will be first-class and the aerial action spectacular. But I do hope that "schoolboy heroics" will be kept to a minimum.

Moonraker

On 14/02/2019 at 07:14, Steven Broomfield said:

We are going to have the usual conundrum when it appears: do we want it to be accurate, enjoyable and completely believable ... or would we rather it was a pile of horse poo that we can rip into like proper curmudgeons should?

War Horse or Journey's End?

Whatever people think of the films, the stage show is back on this year. Troubadour Wembley Park Theatre, Performances begin 18 October 2019, for 6 weeks only

I thoroughly enjoyed that when I saw it. You quickly forget the horses are puppets.

WarHorse

Must confess that I come from South-West Devon where some of "Warhorse" was set and filmed. Let's hope he can get some proper advice on uniforms and kit this time round- the cavalry in "Warhorse" looked like attendants at a municipal baths.

I suspect he gets the right advice. Sadly, the right advice is probably not as 'Hollywood' as fancy uniforms and bo££ocks history.

12 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I suspect he gets the right advice. Sadly, the right advice is probably not as 'Hollywood' as fancy uniforms and bo££ocks history.

Steven-May we volunteer your services as a cavalry expert to Mr. Spielberg?  Purely in the interests of international harmony between the United Kingdom and our former secessionist colonies across the water?  "Warhorse" was bad enough-  well,when compared to "Legends of the Fall" it comes out quite well.  Makes "Blackadder" look like a docudrama. 

2 minutes ago, nigelcave said:

Not to mention some anachronistic views of pickelhaube being worn in tunnels (supposedly in 1918, IIRC) in the TV adaptation of Birdsong.

Let me get this right about "Birdsong"-the British Army was advancing at the end of the war and still had time to dig long tunnels for no good purpose?

Let me get this right about "Birdsong"-the British Army was advancing at the end of the war and still had time to dig long tunnels for no good purpose?

Yes I thought that when I saw it on TV. Absolute rubbish as a film and story.

Apparently not only did they have time to dig tunnels, but great big tall ones, with high, spacious galleries and plenty of space to have a rough house fight - tho' I must admit I could no longer bear it and switched over - horribly better, maybe switched off. Hence the hazy recollection: I put it down to shock.

My pet hate is perfectly-shaved faces after days of deprivation: stuck in the desert, no water, incarcerated, no razor or blade to hand.

Particularly annoying when there's a close-up of the man suffering stoically - it could almost be a commercial for a razor that gives a close shave. At very least they could ask the actor not to shave for a couple of days.

Moonraker

27 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

My pet hate is perfectly-shaved faces after days of deprivation: stuck in the desert, no water, incarcerated, no razor or blade to hand.

Particularly annoying when there's a close-up of the man suffering stoically - it could almost be a commercial for a razor that gives a close shave. At very least they could ask the actor not to shave for a couple of days.

Moonraker

I suppose at least three of these characters got it right after (allegedly) crossing the Egyptian desert.

carlsberg.jpg

The "other one" got it right too! I suppose there may be difficulties of continuity if beards are allowed to grow and episodes are filmed out of sequence?

Every night when Van der Pohl Quayle was sneaking out for ablutions when he was actually operating a wireless and in communication with the Wehrmacht, what coruscating information was he meant to be passing on to the enemy about an ambulance in the desert ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326

1 hour ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Every night when Van der Pohl Quayle was sneaking out for ablutions when he was actually operating a wireless and in communication with the Wehrmacht, what coruscating information was he meant to be passing on to the enemy about an ambulance in the desert ?

Clearly he had picked up on the fact that Austin K type ambulances, were now four wheel drive, with the surreptitious fitting of a Dodge front axle.  This would allow the RAMC to operate way out in the brown setting up hidden bandage dumps ready for our advance.

We are way off topic, and it's partly my fault, and no doubt when the mods awake from their late afternoon snoozes they will act. Until they do, wasn't it just to confirm that he was still active?

Moonraker

On 09/02/2019 at 14:20, Mark Hone said:

There was a brief mention in the press this week that Stephen Spielberg is about to start filming his new movie '1917' somewhere near Stonehenge. One suspects that it may concern US entry into the Great War (although the Americans only arrived in force in 1918). He's missed the Centenary hoop-la and his previous Great War foray 'War Horse' wasn't a big hit as I recall (certainly not on this Forum). Does anyone know further details? 

Let’s give the yanks the benefit of the doubt.

Don’t forget Paths of Glory...directed by an American - Stanley Kubrick - and far from being a paean to Uncle Sam.

Maybe this will follow  in Kubrick’s tradition , and be about the French.  We might even see Michael Douglas acting as Nivelle !

Phil

Edited by phil andrade

The on-line version of this morning's Times, in its Scotland section has an interesting piece.

Apparently, Glasgow is on the list: applications have been made to film in some derelict area of Govan docks, where a bridge crosses a canal.

Hmmm ... canal ... bridge ... 1917.

(I do hope they don't think Mons was in 1917).

In order to put the likes of GWF members off the trail, maybe the projected 1917 title is fake news - they do it over there, you know. Just ask bif.