Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

44 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I will go and see it, but will keep my expectations low. Being correct in uniforms and the layout of trenches is one thing: a film worth watching is another. Dunkirk was fine in terms of technical accuracy (except the Spitfire with reloading guns) but as a film it was hollow and unengaging, and full of cliches.

I agree. I was so disappointed in ‘Dunkirk’ but everyone else seemed to enjoy it.

Now on the Daily Mail - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7769223/How-stars-Sam-Mendes-World-War-film-1917-survive-brutal-real-life-boot-camp.html

The trailer shows them entering a trench like a SWAT team with rifles at the shoulder - surely that is not right? I was taught that you held a rifle at the ready.

I am sure the details will be fine.  As others have pointed out, it’s the storyline which does not seem to make sense if the scenario is the German retreat to the Hindenburg line.

19 hours ago, trajan said:

The trailer shows them entering a trench like a SWAT team with rifles at the shoulder - surely that is not right? I was taught that you held a rifle at the ready.

17 hours ago, squirrel said:

Usually with bayonet attached.

Oh they had them with bayonets attached... Just not certain of the rifles on the shoulder as if a SWAT team...

I've flicked quickly through recent posts and don't think that this "Extended Featurette" of 11 minutes 22 seconds has been mentioned before. (If so, apologies.)

At the beginning Sam Mendes appears to be directing an actor in the wrecked building to hold his rifle in a raised position???

Moonraker

Interesting clip but I have yet to understand why these two guys were sent on this mission. What was wrong with dropping a message from the air?

Cheers Martin B

I have high hopes for this one 

I can’t remember the last time there was a big budget British War film that depicted actual British fighting men on a grand scale 

I just hope the story line is believable and not too far fetched and also not too Politically Correct in its depiction of the period 

On the subject of Historical accuracy, there will be some Sepoys featured

Not sure if any Indian units were on the Western Front in 1917 ...

23 minutes ago, Martin Bennitt said:

Interesting clip but I have yet to understand why these two guys were sent on this mission. What was wrong with dropping a message from the air?

Then there would haven't been a film. (Asked why, in the climactic chase scene in "Stagecoach", the Indians didn't simply shoot the horses to stop the coach, director John Ford replied, "Because that would have been the end of the movie".)

21 minutes ago, Rob Comber said:

I have high hopes for this one 

I can’t remember the last time there was a big budget British War film that depicted actual British fighting men on a grand scale 

I just hope the story line is believable and not too far fetched and also not too Politically Correct in its depiction of the period 

Inevitable inclusivity. Are any black soldiers included?

Following the cynicism early in this thread (some of which in retrospect was greatly misdirected), is a slightly more positive attitude creeping into this thread?

Moonraker

It’s understandable to have an element of inclusivity, as long as it’s believable 

I think this will be a good one 

The reviewers havevcertainly been very kind  

Edited by Rob Comber

The reality of the creole GF and his experiences in Flanders impart some authenticity to the story of “ inclusivity” in the ranks of the BEF.

Hardly the Walter Tull story, but still significant.

So long as we don’t see large numbers of black soldiers going over the top in British Khaki.....

Phil

On 08/12/2019 at 17:02, Steven Broomfield said:

Dunkirk was fine in terms of technical accuracy 

Really?!!!  *chokes on my egg cress sandwich* 

Edited by Toby Brayley

13 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Following the cynicism early in this thread (some of which in retrospect was greatly misdirected), is a slightly more positive attitude creeping into this thread?

I think you are right, but it started life here as a Spielberg movie leading to speculation about Doughboys in '17, and has turned out to be a film about two Tommies.

Looks like it already won a bunch of Awards and is nominated for many others…

M.

Nearest showings here up north are Harrogate or Middlesbrough at the moment.

Have to wait until 10th January for the first showing at Catterick Empire Cinema.

Surprising really as many of the streets and areas are named after Great War Generals and battles.

There could also be a few current military personnel in the area.

I'll let you know when the nearest showing to Ankara is announced...:wacko:

On 08/12/2019 at 17:02, Steven Broomfield said:

I will go and see it, but will keep my expectations low. Being correct in uniforms and the layout of trenches is one thing: a film worth watching is another. Dunkirk was fine in terms of technical accuracy (except the Spitfire with reloading guns) but as a film it was hollow and unengaging, and full of cliches.

I can't believe I meant that. I blame election stress and alcohol

3 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Really?!!!  *chokes on my egg cress sandwich* 

I was distracted. It was utter sh*te.

17 hours ago, Rob Comber said:

Two divisions of cavalry, plus various Lines of Communications troops.

3 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Looks like it already won a bunch of Awards and is nominated for many others…

M.

As any fule kno, awards and merit are not necessarily connected. It will be log-rolling between meejah luvvies.

17 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Moonraker

I shall hold my breath. I've not seen anything with Spielberg's name on it that wasn't smeared in several layers of saccharine, and the plot of this looks like an unbelievable pile of horse poo, but I will pay my money and see what I think. War Horse surprised me - far worse than I had hoped. Who knows?

We must remember this is cinema, not history.

7 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

I shall hold my breath. I've not seen anything with Spielberg's name on it that wasn't smeared in several layers of saccharine,

Have you seen Duel? Admittedly it was an early Spielberg work and it has been down hill ever since.

Edited by Gardenerbill

2 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Have you seen Duel? .

Can't remember. Don't think so.

Essentially Dennis Hopper Weaver is a car driver on a long journey across US intimidated by a massive truck.

Edited by Gardenerbill

10 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Essentially Dennis Hopper is a car driver on a long journey across US intimidated by a massive truck.

I thought that was the A40 this week with Ellie Goulding in a support role? :ph34r:

Edited by jonbem

1 hour ago, Steven Broomfield said:

We must remember this is cinema, not history.

We must remember that there are people out there who think the former is invariably the latter.