Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Spielberg's '1917'

Mark Hone

The reviewer in the Telegraph says  " Novelty quickly wears off, in a film that feels more like a video game"   Also that its curiously like the first 27 minutes of Saving Private Ryan, inflated to last the entire film.    

GH

The Torygraph shreded the film in its review today. I will definitely wait to avoid it on tele.

Edited by David Filsell

The 'Big Apple' review linked by Moonraker is most interesting, particularly the final paragraphs.  Well now we know it is the German retreat to the Hindenburg Line.  From what I can glean, after dreadful travail the runners reach Cumberbatch and his men but the latter refuses to believe they are about to walk into a trap. Go tell the Spartans.

Edited by Hyacinth1326

I'm really looking forward to watching it, I'm very rarely swayed by reviews and everyone has their own taste in movies. I'll take it for what it is and hopefully it's going to be as good a movie as I'm hoping it's going to be

57 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

More reviews here

(I haven't bothered to read them.)

Moonraker

Oh, go on, you don't know what you're missing!

This is a good one: https://freshfiction.tv/review-sam-mendes-blazes-new-paths-of-glory-with-1917/

Or perhaps this, from one of the revliews:  “1917” will at some point make a great double feature with “They Shall Not Grow Old,”

Enough said.

My favourite line from the Bigapple review is "Schofield falls into ditches, he dodges bullets with only a grenade, his primitive single shot rifle, and assorted packs on his back."

Yep. Big budget action movie which happens to be set in the Great War rather than a Galaxy far, far away.

And about as realistic.

5 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

he dodges bullets

10 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

a Galaxy far, far away.

Perhaps the German stormtroopers have been replaced with a different type of stormtroopers...

It will sell tonnes of popcoen and mega-litres of fizzy carbonated water drinks.

21 hours ago, Heid the Ba said:

his primitive single shot rifle

15 hours ago, Jools mckenna said:

Perhaps the German stormtroopers have been replaced with a different type of stormtroopers

Perhaps Tommy Atkins has been replaced with Sharpe

13 hours ago, Jim Clay said:

Father of the Coen brothers?

Coat.

I shall go along and treat it merely as a film for entertainment purposes. No popcorn or sweet drinks, though. 

Neath's cinematic emporium only charges us £4 subject to successfully carbon dating our teeth. A steal!

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

There's a short article in today's Daily Telegraph about the replicas of original helmets proving too small for the "1917" actors' heads. Larger copies had to be made.

Moonraker

On listening to Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Review this afternoon, (5 Live), Mayo mentioned that he had seen the film at a special screening and found the film 'rather good'.

Still will swerve it as we kool kids say.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/dec/07/sam-mendes-1917-hobnails-drill-boot-camp-war-epic

Not read all the thread but didn’t realise that both Andy Robertshaw and Peter Barton were advisors on the film.

Just spotted it myself - interesting!

Does that mean all the critics here (including self)  will suddenly rush to see it ?

Edited by Hyacinth1326

On 28/11/2019 at 03:21, David Filsell said:

Not to me. Mind you, I did have a beer watching the excellent The Irishman, Pesci brilliant, de Niro in a decent film again.

Oh boy....remind me not to go to a movie based on your reviews! 

I thought The Irishman was dreadful. 

Far too long (like by a whole hour!) and the shots with Robert Di Niro as a younger man?.........don't know how they did it if by technology or purely using make up but it certainly didn't work!  And in one shot he's referred to as the kid!

Really awful.  And that's the understatement of the year.

On the other hand.....very much looking forward to being entertained by '1917'.    

4 hours ago, Ron Abbott said:

.don't know how they did it if by technology or purely using make up but it certainly didn't work!  ,,,

Technology, I understand... 

IF 1917 is released over here I'd certainly like to see it... 

18 hours ago, simond9x said:

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/dec/07/sam-mendes-1917-hobnails-drill-boot-camp-war-epic

Not read all the thread but didn’t realise that both Andy Robertshaw and Peter Barton were advisors on the film.

Was their advice heeded?  I think we should be told.

22 hours ago, Hyacinth1326 said:

Does that mean all the critics here (including self)  will suddenly rush to see it ?

I will go and see it, but will keep my expectations low. Being correct in uniforms and the layout of trenches is one thing: a film worth watching is another. Dunkirk was fine in terms of technical accuracy (except the Spitfire with reloading guns) but as a film it was hollow and unengaging, and full of cliches.