Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Mark Hone

Spielberg's new film '1917'

Mark Hone

There was a brief mention in the press this week that Stephen Spielberg is about to start filming his new movie '1917' somewhere near Stonehenge. One suspects that it may concern US entry into the Great War (although the Americans only arrived in force in 1918). He's missed the Centenary hoop-la and his previous Great War foray 'War Horse' wasn't a big hit as I recall (certainly not on this Forum). Does anyone know further details? 

Edited by Mark Hone

593jones

Only the briefest details on IMDB:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8579674/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Have to say I have never heard of either of the two actors named.  Perhaps I should go to the cinema more.

17107BM

Oh dear, I fear the Worst. History Rewritten?

We will have to see.

paulgranger

Chaps. No-one knows anything about the film yet. Might be good, might not, and although Spielberg might be accused of sentimentality, 'Saving Private Ryan' was a tour-de-force of battle depiction. We'll find out if '1917' is good in due course. 

Gareth Davies

I know one of the film locations, it's 2 miles from my house. 

https://unidoc.wiltshire.gov.uk/UniDoc/Document/Search/DSA,894390

Edited by Gareth Davies

593jones

You'll be handy when they're looking for extras then!

Steven Broomfield
14 hours ago, paulgranger said:

Chaps. No-one knows anything about the film yet. Might be good, might not, and although Spielberg might be accused of sentimentality, 'Saving Private Ryan' was a tour-de-force of battle depiction. We'll find out if '1917' is good in due course. 

Very true, but for myself I have never watched a Spielberg movie without the feeling that my emotions have been very cleverly manipulated and that I have had a very well-made saccharine shower poured over my head.

PhilB

What aspect of the year 1917 would be most significant to our American cousins?

paulgranger

A pertinent point. They entered the war that year, but that might not be enough to occupy a whole film. 

squirrel
7 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Very true, but for myself I have never watched a Spielberg movie without the feeling that my emotions have been very cleverly manipulated and that I have had a very well-made saccharine shower poured over my head.

Spot on Mr B. 

2 hours ago, paulgranger said:

A pertinent point. They entered the war that year, but that might not be enough to occupy a whole film. 

Might be if the story is about how the Americans arrived just in time and saved the civilised world.

Steven Broomfield
25 minutes ago, squirrel said:

Might be if the story is about how the Americans arrived just in time and saved the civilised world ...

... and France.

Moonraker

Apropos of nothing, the United States was one nation that barely featured on Salisbury Plain during the war, and when they were there it was almost entirely at airfields.

Gareth - thanks for the documents - interesting, especially seeing the exact location.

Moonraker

lostinspace

With an English director, and apparently two young English leads, I doubt that the film is going to have anything to do with the American entry into the war. Think aeroplanes and "Bloody April".

A clue? https://news.artnet.com/art-world/spielberg-stonehenge-1458187  

Open Bolt

Perhaps another film where battle hardened pilots of Lafayette Escadrille meet fresh faced youths from the US? I expect to see Billy Mitchell in it too.

Moonraker

Any hints about the inevitable love interest? Perhaps a winsome village maiden? A gay subtext or an overtly gay romance?

Was there as much concern when the MoD built

Copehill Down village

very close by?

Comments appended to the Daily Mail include some that make me grimace, including one that suggests the Allies were fighting Nazis during the Great War.

Moonraker

paulgranger

It's a remake of 'Aces High'! Or not.

Steven Broomfield
2 hours ago, Moonraker said:

Comments appended to the Daily Mail include some that make me grimace, including one that suggests the Allies were fighting Nazis during the Great War.

Moonraker

Nascent Nazis, surely?

Open Bolt

Well, we are well on the way to identifying the script. But how will we shoehorn Richthofen in?

Mark Hone

I hope he doesn't share a drink with Roy Brown when they are both shot down in No Man's Land, as in the beyond-parody German film 'Red Baron'. 

Steven Broomfield
10 hours ago, Mark Hone said:

I hope he doesn't share a drink with Roy Brown when they are both shot down in No Man's Land, as in the beyond-parody German film 'Red Baron'. 

Dunno. Might be a laugh

Chubby.jpg

Open Bolt

I hadn't thought it might be a comedy. If it is a Hanna -Barbera remake then "Dick Dastardly, his dog Muttley, and the rest of the Vulture Squadron are bent on capturing Yankee Doodle Pigeon to prevent him from delivering his messages"

dastardlyandmuttley_l05.jpg.816feeaf52d40e9571901e3b5d422fde.jpg

squirrel

A WW1 remake of Pearl Harbour, sorry Harbor, where two young pilots fight off the massed enemy hordes...

Marilyne
On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 21:06, paulgranger said:

As was Bridge of Spies... and think what you want, but I liked "War Horse"... I just don't see it as a history-movie and don't watch it as a historian... watched it as a girl and horse-fan and cried like a baby at the happy end!

But this is going to be interesting... the filming and the discussions on the forum!

M.

Open Bolt

I have great hopes for it. The aerial sequences ought to be better than we have ever been treated to before including, as Mark says, the relatively recent but awful Red Baron from 2008. I will also concede that CGI will struggle to beat the real thing, and the heyday for that is probably in the past... However, as above, the story may prove to be predictably awful, let us hope not.