Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Telegram from Buckingham Palace

T8HANTS

Whilst looking for something else, I found this fading telegram from Buckingham Palace dated 20/02/19120, requesting the attendance of the recipient.

It reads as far as I can make out

Cap't Reginald ??? 2 St Thomas Street Ryde I.W. is required at Buckingham Palace on Friday next the twenty seventh instant at fifteen o'clock  ??? Service Dress. 

Please telegraph acknowledgment.

Contrachen Wire London.

I know its not a family memento, probably found as a bookmark or something.  Sadly I cannot make out the surname of the recipient, but presumably he is being requested to attend because of his military service as service dress is required.

Anybody know what might have been going on in the Palace on the 27th Feb 1920, or who Cap't Reg' might have been.

Fire photos016.jpg

He was Captain Reginald Lake Flux, RFA, who was awarded presented with the Military Cross on that date.

I note that it had been Gazetted on 17 April 1916.

Martin

Edited by tootrock

Did the Navy use the term "service dress"?

Ron

Looking at the telegram again, I think I can make out the name Flux, so you are probably right Martin - Thank you.

Do we have a citation for the award of the M.C. ?

Edit, just found on our own local newspaper index that he has at least 15 references.  He served with the 5th Hants Howitzers and was captured at Kut el Amara.  As a point of interest the trail of one of his guns is on display at the Military Museum Northwood I.W., it was brought back to the Island following the war.

Edited by T8HANTS

According to his MIC, Reginald Lake Flux lived in Thomas Street, Ryde, so it must be the same man.

No citation for the MC

Martin

Hi T8HANTS,

The MC index card for Reginald Flux does seem to confirm that he was decorated on 27.2.1920.

image.png.c4973679734563576e730fe78b64845f.png

Image source: The National Archives - file WO 389/13

As tootrock says the publication in the LG (and subsequent issues) don't appear to carry an associated citation - see p106/159 of this free download.

The Red Cross appear to have a PoW card for him...

image.png.b094b58bd89d01c9538d75194aa3e4e9.png

...which links to a record which indicates that he was taken PoW on the fall of Kut on 29th April 1916

image.png.43515147926b09adff9dca4ae9e3463c.png

image.png.626a831f0a47829a389f741e44f11966.png

Images sourced from the ICRC

The record appears to be undated, but suggests that at he time he was in a camp in Yozgad.

It seems that he was likely the son (birth) of Francis George Flux and Louisa Lizzie Lake (marriage). In the 1901 census he appears to have been living with them - link, but by 1911 he was living away from home - link  and link,

What appears to be left of his service file appears to be here at the National Archives.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

Thank you one and all, its fascinating what can be uncovered by the unearthing of a crumbling piece of paper.

As stated I have no idea where it came from and was just found sandwiched between some of my late father's papers

I must track a photograph down now.

Excellent work chaps........Gareth

Thank-you, page 190.

His father was Major Francis George Flux J.P. who died 1922 aged 61.

The unexpected arrival of new Grandson has prevented me from looking him up in our local paper archive.

• 1 year later...

Fascinated to come across this when researching my grandfather Reginald Lake Flux. My father, John Flux, died in 2018 and my sister now has our grandfather's medal.

Welcome to the forum! If you are interested, The Road to Yozgad: My War 1914-19 by. Lt Arthur Valentine Holyoake (Menin Books, 2013) is just one of many books that cover the Kut experience.

sJ

Thanks for that seaJane I will look for the book. Sadly I never met my grandfather. He died on 1 July 1940 and I believe is buried in Ryde church. We have one photograph of him in his army uniform. Also my father had a small photo album of photographs taken by his father during WW1 which I think my sister now has. I will see if I can upload a photo on this site when I've spoken to my sister.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...