Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marine Light Infantry 8th October 1914

Yorke Scarlett

There is a casualty - Pte J W WHEELER PLY/6641 in Cement House Cemetery, Langemark, West Flanders, Belgium.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the doing of the RMLI around that date.

I wish to expand on the reasoning as to why Pte Wheeler has been re-interred in Langemark.

Thanks in advance

Serving in Plymouth Battalion of the Royal Naval Division at the Defence of Antwerp. Fighting at Lier (Lierre) 4-7 October and then withdrawn towards Antwerp.

Two casualties (including Pte WHEELER) were removed from Schaerbeek Communal Cemetery to Cement House Cemetery in February 1966. Presumably a normal concentration of outlying burials by CWGC.

His original burial at Schaerbeek (Brussels), so remote from the scene of action, may indicate that he was found by the Germans at Antwerp and removed to Brussels. It is vanishingly improbable that his burial at Schaerbeek was by the British. WHEELER was one of  ten men of Plymouth Battalion kia between 5 and 8 October at Lier. Eight of these men are buried at Schoonselhof Cemetery, Antwerp. One is named on the Nieuport Memorial.

Edited by horatio2

Thanks for the speedy response.

I was at Schoonselhof late last year (not an easy place to find - but fascinating when I got there) reading the approximate date of others who are buried there.of the RMLI.

Thanks again

There is a grave of a member of The Royal Marine Light infantry in the Cemetry at Normanton, West Yorkshire. One of about 12 war graves in that Cemetry, easy to find its on Cemetry Road.

• 1 month later...

John William Wheeler was born on 11 november 1895 in Birmingham.

The Original date of dead in his file (crossed out later) was mentioned October 5, 1914. Later changed to October 8, 1914.

As they mention 'Killed in Action', I believe that October 5 is closer to the truth.

If anybody can find a picture of him, I would be very happy....

wheeler.pdf

Edited by Niko

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the tardy response 

Thanks for the copy document Nico - it makes interesting reading on the whole scenario.