Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Binocular to monocular conversion.

Jools mckenna

Just made this thread to have some opinions on this being a period conversion and to ask if this was a common occurrence? 

WP_20190209_10_34_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_36_05_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_36_16_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_36_23_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_36_46_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_37_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20190209_10_38_21_Pro.jpg

Edited by Jools mckenna

About the only comment I can think to make is that at least they bothered to file chamfers on the cut ends. So far as is visible from the pics, anybody capable of doing a reasonably straight hacksaw cut could've done it at any time.

7 minutes ago, MikB said:

About the only comment I can think to make is that at least they bothered to file chamfers on the cut ends. So far as is visible from the pics, anybody capable of doing a reasonably straight hacksaw cut could've done it at any time.

Yes, and the patina of the cut metal looks to be appropriate for the age. 

Edited by Jools mckenna

Yes, and the Broad Arrow is of WW1 style. But without other evidence, any speculation about who cut them and why, can remain only that.

Yes, the actual binocular this was made from is definitely from ww1 as I found a pair exactly the same. The only speculation that I can come up with is that somebody was running low on binoculars...

I've run across more than one of these conversions over the years. Monoculars were popular. I've got a couple by Aitchinson that are broadarrow marked, both 6x30 came with cute little triangular cases. Pretty easy conversion if your binos get damaged, say an objective gets broken or even badly scratched. With binos in short supply, turning a pair in for repair would likely mean you'd end up with none. Cut the broken half away and at least you've got something to look through. Less weight and bulk to carry as well.