Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gold stripes

Matt 71

17 minutes ago, Matt 71 said:

Why would my great grandad be entitled to two gold stripes? Twice injured? Also silver war badge or are they the same? Thanks

210AA67D-E3C6-4DF4-A0C2-90A667DEF4F9.jpeg

The two gold stripes do indeed indicate he was  twice wounded.

https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/how-to-research-a-soldier/tips-for-interpreting-photographs-of-men-in-uniform/whats-that-on-his-sleeve-a-wound-stripe/

The Silver War Badge was awarded upon discharge as physically unfit due to wounds or sickness during service.  The attached photograph shows my G.Grandfather wearing his SWB on his lapel. 

If you provide a name and or service No. for your G.Grandfather it may be possible to find when and where he was wounded and the reason for his discharge.

Scan_20150111 (98).png

Edited by GWF1967

Hi 

My g grandads name is Robert Troilett service number 45426.Northumberland Fusiliers. He was injured in 1916 and again on the 18/9/17 incident 5382

He also had s/4607 when he enlisted Black  watch and then 1892 41st divisional Army Cyclist corp.his silver war badge was number 410123.

thanks

Edited by Matt 71

Hi Matt, 

He enlisted 7/9/14 - 1892 -41st Div. Cyclist Coy and was subsequently transferred to the 18th Northumberland Fusiliers.

His wounding appears on a list on 18/9/17; the actual date he was wounded would have been some weeks previous to this. 

He was discharged due to wounds on 17/5/18 aged 24. 

A read of the 18th N.F war diary should give you an idea of where Robert was leading up to his injury, although he is unlikely to be named. 

There are records for two of his brothers,  Edmund - 242337. S. Lancashire Regiment, and Thomas 39029 - S. Lancs. Reg. 

Edmund has surviving service papers on Ancestry. 

4 hours ago, Matt 71 said:

Where would I find war diaries GWF 1967? T

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353876

It costs £3.50 to download; 

The 18th (Service) Battalion were also known as the 1st Tyneside Pioneers.

Edit. 

I thought I was repeating myself!

Edited by GWF1967

Thanks Lads 

Im new to this I’m working in the middle of know where and trying to correspond on my phone which isn’t the best and when im

n home there’s three kids running round and the missus! 

So sorry 

I’ve found out loads with your help about both of my great grandfathers

so thanks 

Matt

11 minutes ago, Matt 71 said:

Thanks Lads 

Im new to this I’m working in the middle of know where and trying to correspond on my phone which isn’t the best and when im

n home there’s three kids running round and the missus! 

So sorry 

I’ve found out loads with your help about both of my great grandfathers

so thanks 

Matt

Enjoy your reading. 

Guy. 

Edit. If you have any further questions add them to the end of the relevant thread, then folks can read and find out what information you have already been given. 

It may help to edit the thread title to include Robert's name, number and regiment, and to ask a moderator to move it to the "soldiers" thread. 

Edited by GWF1967