Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross POW Document

EDWARD1

He died on 28 August 1918 from "general exhaustion"...

Thank you AOK4 I was aware of his cause of death as per the ICRC further documents PA38278,PA38299 & PA41404. I was trying to determine when taken POW (as the docs usually do)

He also had two brothers one KIA 4/7/16  and the other WIA, MIA and dying as a POW 27/3/18

Eddie

Hi,

I may just have been unlucky but several of the men I've had cause to research were captured during the April and May phases of ther German Spring Offensive and then forced to work in and around the battle zone for several months. In every case the ICRC documents, received from the German Authorities, do not state a date of capture. Whether or not this was a deliberate policy I don't know, but as the work being done was definately not Geneva convention stuff and the men would have been entitled to have a visit from a Red Cross representative, either way it probably suited the needs of the German war effort at that time. There then appears to have been an influx of exhausted and sick men into the PoW camps in July and August - which sounds like the state Edgar Markham was in when he passed away. He could even have been on his way to a camp - one of mine certainly was.

I take it you've seen the Concentration Report on his Commonwealth War Graves Commission webpage. He was original buried in the Montaigu German Cemetery.

My suggestion would be to try and track him down in casualty reports in local papers to where he was living - I've tried The Times but had no joy. Hopefully he was reported missing. From the other 4th Yorks on the same list you may be able to establish a timescale either as a result of them subsequently be treated as killed in action or being shipped to Germany as a result of being wounded.

In see he's remembered on a family headstone in Eston Cemetery.

http://www.ww1-yorkshires.org.uk/html-files/cemeteries/eston-cemetery.htm#markhamfamily

Hope that helps,

Peter

On 09/02/2019 at 11:56, EDWARD1 said:

Thank you AOK4 I was aware of his cause of death as per the ICRC further documents PA38278,PA38299 & PA41404. I was trying to determine when taken POW (as the docs usually do)

He also had two brothers one KIA 4/7/16  and the other WIA, MIA and dying as a POW 27/3/18

Eddie

British Red Cross & Order of St. John Enquiry List: Wounded and Missing, Part II, October 1st 1918. Shows 22766 Edgar Markham, 4th Bn. Yorkshire Regiment. Missing from May 27th 1918.

Thanks Seaforths, The war diary for that month lists 566 missing. An extract from the diary on the 27th ….. .the enemy also came through our own right using tanks over the flat country east of CRAONNE, this party also pushed on towards BEAURIEUX  and surrounded the Brigade in the line.

There are about 5 and 1/2 pages of 4th Bn. In the enquiry lists from the Spring Offensive, most of them from May. You may be able to access a copy of the lists in the lovely old library in Middlesbrough, in the upstairs bit possibly. Or, if they don’t have it, they may be able to get it on an inter library loan for you. It depends how far you want to follow him up. Some of the details that might emerge on the ICRC site on the names of the men missing with him may help you further.

unbekt is a shortening of unbekannt - unknown - which is where the location would usually be.  Indicates the system lost track of where he was captured. The list is from POW camp Limburg.  There is another card for him of an earlier date which records where he died - in the field hospital at Montaigne.  The PA number 38299 should be 38298.

Max

• 11 months later...

Prisonerlist of camp AugustabadNeubrandenburg

(List) Sent from camp 11 dec 1916

(List) Arrived at War Ministry 12 dec 1916

(List) Sent from War Ministry 16 dec 1916

(List) Received by Red Cross 16 dec 1916

Ernest Marchant

Lieutenant

17 Middlesex Inf. Regt.

Captured at Serre, 13 november 1916

Previously held at Reserve Lazarett III, Hamburg

Born 12 may 1887 Walthamstow

Nearest relative: Wife Marchant, Burnt-Hill

Family notified 23 dec 1916

According to German Wikipedia British officers were held at the Kurhaus:

augustabad.jpg.c416aea1529b687c2f16a4a7be719986.jpg

And Reserve Lazarett III, Hamburg was at the Eppendorfer Krankenhaus (Eppendorf Hospital)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_German_prisoner-of-war_camps

Edited by JWK