Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
pete-c

Aero Engine School - Farnborough 1918

pete-c

I posted a plea for any information on the above back in 2012 - unfortunately with no success.  So, after having found nothing regarding this particular establishment since then, I'm giving it another go.

My Grandfather was posted there in 1918.   Details:

April 1st  HMS President II  to newly formed RAF.  Rank: Corporal Mechanic.

April 2nd Promoted Sergeant Mechanic.  Posted as Instructor to Aero Engine School Farnborough.

April 9th  to RAF Cranwell (presumably as an Instructor)

I can only presume that this was perhaps a short lived establishment.   Any clues gratefully received.

Peter.

Edited by pete-c

Interested

There is an air museum at Farnborough now, and I believe they have many archives.

Here's the link:

https://www.airsciences.org.uk/

If you haven't contacted them already, I'm sure they can help.

Good luck with the research

pete-c

I did ask at FAST a few years back but they didn't have anything on this school either.  If nothing turns up on the Forum I may as well give them another try.  You never know, they may have acquired some new archive material since I last asked.

MikeMeech
27 minutes ago, pete-c said:

I did ask at FAST a few years back but they didn't have anything on this school either.  If nothing turns up on the Forum I may as well give them another try.  You never know, they may have acquired some new archive material since I last asked.

Hi

There is no 'Aero Engine School' listed under Farnborough units in the Cross & Cockade Gazetteer either.  The only 'Schools' appear to be the 'Wireless School' and the 'School of Photography'.  Also according to F J Adkin ('From the Ground Up', page 46) there was also a 'School for Armourers' formed at Farnborough on 1st January 1917.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Mike

pete-c
14 hours ago, MikeMeech said:

Hi

There is no 'Aero Engine School' listed under Farnborough units in the Cross & Cockade Gazetteer either.  The only 'Schools' appear to be the 'Wireless School' and the 'School of Photography'.  Also according to F J Adkin ('From the Ground Up', page 46) there was also a 'School for Armourers' formed at Farnborough on 1st January 1917.

Sorry not to be more helpful.

Mike

Thanks Mike.

I'm beginning to doubt my own record keeping now.  I obtained a copy of my Grandfathers RNAS record from TNA a few years ago, but only transcribed his RAF record.   I think findmypast could be my next port of call!

Cheers.