Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RAF. Service record.

petehils

Can anyone let me know what some or all of the entries on my Granfathers record mean please.?   He was transferred to the RFC as a wireless operator from where I don’t know.  It’s the various bits of written notes I am interested in on various parts of the record. BEF i know is British Expeditionary Force and 53sqd is 53 squadron.  Thanks for any help.  Pete.

7F78DAAA-5C6F-48C4-8572-D66D78E7C5C9.png

Edited by petehils
Mistake

I'm sure Ive seen this asked somewhere else this week - was it yourself

The transfer in that record is the change from RFC to RAF on 1 April 1918.  Do you have any indication of prior service in another organization/regiment?  If not, it's likely he enlisted in the RFC.

Hi Buffnut453. Thanks for reply.  He was, I believe a despatch rider earlier in the war but no service record has survived. I do however have photos of my Grandfather in uniform and posted them sometime ago on the forum site. 

On 11/02/2019 at 14:23, petehils said:

I believe a despatch rider earlier in the war

In which case he may have been recruited through - or had his name published as enlisted - the Motor Cycle Magazine. This can be accessed free online. Sometimes includes photographs. Links for available online volumes may be accessed  here. Archive.org. 

Regards, Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Wow !  A lot of stuff on that Motor Cycle Magazine site.  Very interesting.  The 2 pics attached were taken from the magazine and are where my grandfather is pictured on some photos I posted some time ago on this site asking for info.  

F061DEF6-5DE1-4D77-B75D-E342D99C5B74.png

87C7944C-117E-4391-9E08-731274587893.png

On 28/02/2019 at 15:54, petehils said:

Wow !  A lot of stuff on that Motor Cycle Magazine site.  Very interesting

Pete - glad the link to The Motor Cycle was useful. Could you post a link to your Petehils site. I`m struggling to find it.

Regards, Paul

Hi.  If you  click on the members list at top of page and enter petehils my posts come up.(hopefully)  Pete.  

Edited by petehils
Add word