Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Webley Mk.VI

Just joined. I have questions regarding a recent purchase of a beautiful Webley Mk.VI. It is missing all markings except a few broad arrows here and there, and some proof marks and serial numbers. It came with a custom shoulder holster of canvas and leather with a rank and name in ink on inside flap of holster. " Maj. Gen. David Peal". The look and finish on the hand gun are near mint. Holster also near mint. Serial # matches on cylinder, barrel, and frame. Photos are available on " Ward's Auction- Dec.8th,2018-item Lot # 250x". Serial # 447765. Could or would this re-blueing and scrubbing be a normal action to possibly appease a Major General wanting a fresh looking Webley for his own satisfaction? It also came with a hammer protector. Any info would of course be greatly appreciated.

British practice of the period, was that officers purchased their own small arms, of the "official pattern" although considerable latitude was shown in the interpretation of the "pattern". Accordingly the lack of military acceptance and ownership markings is quite normal.

During a service career, a pistol may well have become 'distressed' from a period of active service as a junior officer. Accordingly it may have been "refurbished" at some time during the officers career, with aggressive repolishing and re-bluing. The Australian Army's RAEME workshops have quite a reputation for still doing this, particularly with swords. Of course such refurbishment could also have occurred after it entered the civilian market. 30 to 40 years ago, it was quite normal for civilian gunsmiths to polish and re-blue the life out of firearms to "add value" to them (including replacing the springs and scrubbing bores with steel wool).  

Accordingly the reworked finish is highly likely to be consistent with the latter years of its service life but there are no guarantees.

Cheers

Ross

That is too well blued to be a military job. It has been literally scrubbed to death and far from mint condition. An un named revolver and a named holster  may not even belong together. Many high ranking officers had their names engraved on their property and that MkVI does not look like it ever has.

I think it was refinished by a civvy gunsmith and mated with the holster to enhance the appearance and make it more saleable. I have never seen such an example from the UK but have handled several similar that were butchered in the USA.

A search through the Webley archives may turn up with details of the original buyer but I suspect that may just show it was sold to the Government on contract