Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Revised CWGC "How to submit an Identification Case"

laughton

Thanks for that Richard, a interesting read. I shall be returning to CoH Dean shortly with a view to submitting his case to the CWGC, the case of CoH Ellison and Cpl Dean still needs work and I feel somewhat apprehensive about this particular case.

J

Richard,

Thank you for the update on this

I like this quote ' Careful investigations were conducted at the time of burial so to overturn a decision, CWGC usually require new evidence not available to those who conducted the original enquiry'

I wonder why, John Kipling springs to mind.

39 minutes ago, Cheshire22 said:

I like this quote ' Careful investigations were conducted at the time of burial so to overturn a decision, CWGC usually require new evidence not available to those who conducted the original enquiry'

Richard,

Having read the document in your link, I'm still slightly peeved that despite my two applications to CWGC ticking all the boxes, my rejections came within 48 hours from David Avery with exactly the same wording.

The phase "There is currently a significant backlog so please be prepared for it to take us some time to review your case" makes me feel that they [the applications] didn't get due consideration. 

Whilst my applications didn't include NEW evidence, I believe it was the LINKING of existing evidence that was the key. In those cases remains were recovered in 1931 and 1932 and I'm sure any enquiry that did take place would not have had the resources to cross reference many different records that we are now able to do so easily in a digital world.

I'd be happy with a rejection if CWGC were able to give me a specific reason rather than a general "We don't want to question the original decision" that is ,if any decision was actually made in 1932...there isn't actually any evidence of an enquiry as CWGC say the records no longer exist. We don't actually know if any attempt was made to identify the men in question. 

Whilst I don't want to knock CWCG, I appreciate they do a lot of good work, but I am reluctant to submit any more. Maybe it's a funding issue.

I have recently submitted another application but this time used the route via. 'In From The Cold Project', Terry, from this forum, has already given positive feedback but warned that the CWGC process could take around 12 months. 

The two cases I refer to were the ones I copied to you last year - thanks for the positive feedback that you gave.

I'm at a total loss as how to take this forward.

Regards

Alan.