Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Couple of Displays I put together....

MikeS0000

.... while healing, or hopefully doing so.

First, apologies for the quality of the photos. Taken downstairs (basement) with my old camera. I had a couple of old display cases waiting to be used once again and finally got around to doing something with them.

This first one is a French M2 Gas Mask and bag. I arranged it so you could see the head strap, seems many are shown upside down, which is understandable. I surrounded it with some Western Front German Wire. Then added a brass tag for the uneducated.... :-)

Click image for larger version.   Name: P1010001.JPG  Views: 1  Size: 100.7 KB  ID: 3358963

I liked the wire, because the mask itself invokes a real sense of the horror of what occurred.

The next one is earlier than the Great War Period. It is a tapestry(?) I found a few years ago in a pile of rags in a way distant, small antique shop in the Northern Adirondack Mountains. Well above the tourist area.

It's a Patriotic Display with Crossed Flags each with 32 stars. Really old, and not as nice as the photo makes it look, had a pencil drawn pattern on the back. Can't find much more about it, but a neighbor who is quite knowledgeable in materials said she believed it was from the 19th C. I added the ribbon top and bottom.

Click image for larger version.   Name: P1010002.JPG  Views: 1  Size: 79.8 KB  ID: 3358969

Oh, above is a photo of the WW1 Troopship USS Canandaigua. Named after Canandaigua, NY which is about 8 miles from here.

Thanks for looking!
- Mike

PS - Disregard the TV screen in the bottom photo!

Nice displays Mike, them gas masks do look sinister (but were vital to the soldiers)  It is nice to display and show  people so they can ask and learn of their relevance, all the best to you across the water, Ian.

On 09/02/2019 at 14:16, EAST YORKSHIRE said:

Nice displays Mike, them gas masks do look sinister (but were vital to the soldiers)  It is nice to display and show  people so they can ask and learn of their relevance, all the best to you across the water, Ian.

Many thanks Ian!

I've found a couple of classic photos from the IWM that will be hanging next to it. I'm sure they have been seen on the forum before, but I'll add them just in case.

Untitled.png.14731bfbc63e6b88d960b45015f2adf6.pnglarge_000000.jpg.0a4542663654af6c0803af256175a236.jpg

Edited by MikeS0000