Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TREATMENT FOR TONSILLITIS

David Ingleby

I have been contacted by a gentleman whose grandfather served in the RFA during WW1. He was assigned to the 48th Reserve Battery on April 28th 1915, but was subsequently admitted to the hospital at the Royal Ordnance Depot at Weedon on May 20th 1915 due to tonsillitis.

The medical record for the soldier indicates he was treated with potassium chloride for his tonsillitis, but there is something written after this which I cannot make out. Can anyone translate it for me, please?

See the attachment.

Many thanks

Screenshot 2019-02-06 at 14.15.24.png

Correct.              Pot. Chlor. = Potassium Chloride (Although what good it did...)

Mist. = Mixture   [rest currently illegible to me! Perhaps second word starts 'k'  , I did think 'kaolin', but doesn't seem to fit.]

• Admin

Like Dai I had deciphered Potassium Chloride Mixture but not the rest. Trying to wrack my brains as to why Pot Chlor would be used for this other than perhaps as an astringent. No mention of its use for this purpose in the 1902 or 1925 Martindale Extra Pharmacopoeia that I have found.

Is that "mur" at the end? In that case it would be "muriaticis", so mixture of sulphate of something or other (muriatic acid is sulphuric acid).

I can't make the middle word in that phrase read "Quin" or I would be saying quinine, but that hardly fits tonsillitis.

• Admin
1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Is that "mur" at the end? In that case it would be "muriaticis", so mixture of sulphate of something or other (muriatic acid is sulphuric acid).

That would make sense Jane as according to Martindale dilute sulfuric acid (modern spelling) was used as a spray for tonsillitis

Screenshot of a Twitter reply from a friend who is a historian of pharmacy. If you envisage a top bar to the initial of the first letter of the missing word, as if the pen ran dry, I think she's right it's F.

So, mixture of iron sulphate.

IMG_20190206_202432.jpg

I suppose it could be straight forward Ferrous Sulphate Suspension, the stuff given to anaemic children nowadays.

They might have thought he was 'run down' and could do with some iron.

Can I thank everyone for their very helpful suggestions. I have passed your ideas on to my correspondent.

Are there any other entries in the same handwriting? This could help unravel the latter segments of this entry.

Robert