Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sam Browne belt - WWI era?

peregrinvs

Hi,

I’ve just acquired this Sam Browne belt and I was wondering if there’s a way of approximately dating it? There are no visible markings. It came with a 1936 dated 1908 Pattern pistol ammunition pouch which may be a clue.

Thanks,

Mark

7624E23E-5D04-44BC-AE2B-0A50DE3B18CA.jpeg

A4D47E09-854D-4F8D-BC5B-3841B9B9C9B7.jpeg

7C2E6C4E-C27E-45AA-BDE3-8AD1E98D3C5A.jpeg

It’s a single strap version which came in later, so perhaps mid War onwards. The double strap version was from its inception. They’re exceptionally hard to date unless they are maker marked and dated 

On 06/02/2019 at 17:39, Dave1418 said:

It’s a single strap version which came in later, so perhaps mid War onwards. The double strap version was from its inception. They’re exceptionally hard to date unless they are maker marked and dated 

Thanks. I had a nasty feeling that might be the case. Perhaps ‘circa 1916-1945’ will have to do.

Quality of materials and finish of brass components is another indicator. Sam Brownes made after WW2 are not as good, so confirm the c.1916-1945 assessment.

Cheers

Ross

• 3 years later...

Three rings on the top of the belt indicate this was worn as a double strap belt.......the end of one of the straps connected to the pistol case........I'd say pre/early war.

Thanks. Interesting. I actually sold the belt soon after posting the pictures above. I bought it as it came with a 1908 Pattern pistol ammunition pouch which I wanted for my 1908 Pattern pistol order webbing set.