Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Lost Battalion (1919)

simond9x

For anyone who might be interested, I just found the full version of the 1919 silent movie on YouTube

I haven't watched it myself yet but will this evening. I've no great expectations other than it does use the actual participants, where possible, to recreate their roles so one gets to see Whittlesey, McMurtry, etc, less than a year after the events took place.

Edited by simond9x

Hm... ok, I managed to grab an hour to watch it at lunchtime. Let's just say it's "of its time". Very disappointing having waited several years to find it. Whittlesey is in it for about 10 seconds and the film is halfway through before they even leave the States. I can only think that the scene where Whittlesey tells the Germans to "go to hell" has been cut out (goodness knows why though) because it jumps from the Germans asking for a surrender to the American troops reacting angrily to the demand...... no mention of Whittlesey.

Approach with low expectations!

What the film doesn't show and no one ever seems to mention is that the Americans had dug in in such a position that the Germans were firing almost directly down into their positions. Had they moved back about 50 metres or less, they would have been under the cliff on the opposite side of the stream there, and behind a lot of scree that had fallen from the cliff over the years, would have had also the benefit of shelter in 'caves' carved into the cliff millennia ago, would have thus been sheltered from American artillery shorts, and would have been much more difficult for German artillery, mortars and so one to fire at; and would have levelled out the firing between them and the Germans (who would, though, have continued to hold the advantage).

Just in case anyone IS interested in this film, I've also now found a longer version in the US Library of Congress https://www.loc.gov/item/2018600177/

This version runs 30 minutes longer than the one I posted above but STILL has the Whittlesey scene missing. This LC version shows the different parts - part 5 ends abruptly (where the scene might be expected) and part 6 starts as per the Youtube version. The notes on the LC site state:-

On M/B/RS Film & Television catalog card for 16 mm print: "Incomplete copy: LC has reels 3-5". Originally released on eight 35 mm. reels.

I don't know if 'part' = 'reel' (I would assume so) but It sounds as though some may still be missing. Any 1920s film buffs on the forum?

39 minutes ago, healdav said:

What the film doesn't show and no one ever seems to mention is that the Americans had dug in in such a position that the Germans were firing almost directly down into their positions. Had they moved back about 50 metres or less, they would have been under the cliff on the opposite side of the stream there, and behind a lot of scree that had fallen from the cliff over the years, would have had also the benefit of shelter in 'caves' carved into the cliff millennia ago, would have thus been sheltered from American artillery shorts, and would have been much more difficult for German artillery, mortars and so one to fire at; and would have levelled out the firing between them and the Germans (who would, though, have continued to hold the advantage).

Thanks for the info. I had planned to walk in the area last March (assuming one can actually do that). On the day though, the weather was so wet and windy, I was on my own, and it would have been 6 hour round trip....... so, discretion being the better part of valour, I walked around Festubert instead. I would like to do it sometime though.

if you have but 5 minutes... try this ... but LOUD!!!!

M.

On 06/02/2019 at 16:33, simond9x said:

Thanks for the info. I had planned to walk in the area last March (assuming one can actually do that). On the day though, the weather was so wet and windy, I was on my own, and it would have been 6 hour round trip....... so, discretion being the better part of valour, I walked around Festubert instead. I would like to do it sometime though.

Let me know when, and I can take you around there and some other unknown places in the area (see my website).

You can walk around the Lost Battaluion site, but it is very small. If you take an hour you stopped for lunch!

54 minutes ago, healdav said:

Let me know when, and I can take you around there and some other unknown places in the area (see my website).

You can walk around the Lost Battaluion site, but it is very small. If you take an hour you stopped for lunch!

Oh! Not knowing the actual area, I had planned to go down the D63 to around where it says Les Blanchies (on Google maps). Then, assuming it's not private land, I was going to take one of the paths to the east and make my way up through the woods up towards the Pocket. Is that not possible? I do realise that it wouldn't be if the woods are private.

23 hours ago, simond9x said:

Oh! Not knowing the actual area, I had planned to go down the D63 to around where it says Les Blanchies (on Google maps). Then, assuming it's not private land, I was going to take one of the paths to the east and make my way up through the woods up towards the Pocket. Is that not possible? I do realise that it wouldn't be if the woods are private.

I can't see anywhere on the IGN map called Les Blanchies.

The best way to get there is along the D66 from Apremont (to the east. You come to a small lake to the right. At the end of it there is a relatively new monument to the battalion. Park there, and go back around the lake until you find a track going to the right. Follow that to the end of the lake, and walk a little way along the stream. You are now in the Lost Battalion area. There are a few foxholes, but that is about all.

On the D66 above to the north, there is a small monument (much like a kilometre marker) which says Lost Battalion and points down the hill, but it is pretty much invisible behind the crash barrier. There is some parking in a small old quarry, just after, but you are best to do as I suggest above as it saves scrambling down a steep hillside.

All the forests around there are marked as communal so are open to anyone unless there is hunting - and there SHOULD be signs!

At the lake there is a farm called Charlevau, and on the hill behind it an 'ancien abri' is marked on the map. I don't know it myself, and getting to it seems to involve taking the track beside the farm, climbing part way up the hill, tramping trough the forest, and searching!

After that, take the D63 south towards Vienne le Chateau and part way you will find a sign to Camp Moreau. This was a set of caves which were a rest camp. etc. Last time I was there, it was only open on Saturday mornings (for guided tours) and it was the afternoon! Further on, there is a sign to the right to a monument, and not long before it, you can see trench remains set back in the forest.

Gosh, that's really helpful information - thanks a lot, healdav. I'll print it off and file it with the other stuff I have for when I visit.

Interesting that all the German soldiers in this film (from 38th minute onwards) are wearing the visorless stahlhelm. Pretty ugly thing in my opinion.

helmets 1.jpg

helmets 2.jpg

helmets 3.jpg

1 hour ago, simond9x said:

Gosh, that's really helpful information - thanks a lot, healdav. I'll print it off and file it with the other stuff I have for when I visit.

There is a guided tour of the Lost Battalion site in Maarten Otte's The Meuse-Argonne 1918: Breaking the Line in the Battleground Europe series. (There is also one for Sergeant York, though there are conflicting views about the detailed location, with two opposing views.)

Alas, Whittlesey committed suicide (by jumping overboard from a ship going to Cuba) in November 1921.

Sorry, Nigel, only just seen your reply. Thanks for that, I'll get that book, although I'm still reading your Ypres 1914: Menin Road which has given me additional information on 2/Wilts to add to my wife's grandfather's story (he was wounded and taken prisoner during the battle). 

In the national WW I Museum and Memorial there is a presentation: Hell's half Acre which deal with this unit

Russel Smith Art has a open edition Print "Last Light"  on the battle