Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
michaeldr

C H Hayward RNAS

michaeldr

A Pal has very kindly sent me a link to photographs at the RAF Museum in a collection attributed to Wing Commander C. H. Hayward - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=55380880%40N06&view_all=1&text=hayward gallipoli

The photographs include shots of Gallipoli with a few of Suvla and I wonder if we can identify how C. H. Hayward came to be there.

A Wiki search turns up a photograph including a C. H. Hayward from the first RAF Staff College course at Andover. This chap strongly resembles one who also appears in the collection as a 
Sub-Lieutenant with the RNAS Armoured Cars and elements of that unit went on to served at Gallipoli

However, Flight International have C H Hayward gaining Aviators' Certificate No.1787 at Chingford on 24th September 1915 

Was Flight Lieutenant Hayward later posted to the RNAS at Imbros and did he then somehow get across to the peninsula to do some photography there including at Suvla?

[The only RNAS unit at Suvla as far as I know were the machine-gunners from the Armoured Car unit who took their guns up to Jephson's Post.]

Thanks for your interest

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

horatio2

Cecil Hugh HAYWARD. His RNAS record confirms that he was previously a Sub Lt RNVR attached to RNAS Armoured Cars (but no location). He was commissioned RNVR in November 1914 and was transferred to the RNAS as Flt Sub Lt 30 August 1915, appointed to RNAS Chingford. His RNVR record offers no clues either. He was a Flight Commander RNAS by 1917.

His records offer no details of his movements that might suggest Suvla (or even Gallipoli) - so no help one way or the other I'm afraid, Michael.

michaeldr

Thanks for checking this H2

Much appreciated

horatio2

On review I have found that HAYWARD was commissioned as Ty. Hon 2/Lt RM on 2 Oct 1914 (November 1914 Navy List) and is also listed as Ty. Lt RM in the 1914 Star Roll as a Motor Owner Driver. Clearly the start of his involvement with armoured cars. leading to his transfer to RNVR (att RNAS) a month later.

michaeldr
46 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Hon 2/Lt RM on 2 Oct 1914 (November 1914 Navy List) and is also listed as Ty. Lt RM in the 1914 Star Roll as a Motor Owner Driver.

Thanks again H2

This seems to be the Hon 2/Lt RM

T607716-028

michaeldr

and this the Sub-Lt with the RNAS Armoured Cars

T607716-197

T607716-196

Edited by michaeldr

michaeldr

I've edited the above post as on reflection the cap badge indicates that in this photograph Hayward has graduated (?) to the flying side of the RNAS

T607715-253

and finally seen here with his wings on his cuff

T607716-329

Edited by michaeldr

DavidOwen

The same Cecil Hayward who listed as Capt RNAS has a number of photos listed in the IWM collections?

Including some from the later conflict.

michaeldr

David,

Can I trouble you for a link?

I've put in Hayward and then Cecil Hayward, and drawn a blank each time

I much prefered the IWM's old system

thanks

Michael

michaeldr

Thanks David

DavidOwen
pete-c

Michael,

Although one of these flickr images (RAFM T607715-127) is certainly of the 2Wing aerodrome on Imbros, I cannot find anything to tie this man to service in that theatre.  It appears he was Commanding 218 Sqn, as Major CH Hayward, from 28.12.18 to around January1919.   The Squadron were, at that time, at Vert Galand.

Hope this may be of some help.

Peter.

michaeldr

pete-c

This could well be the case Michael.   It's surprising how often the same photos turn up in different collections - especially, it would seem - with regard to images taken in the Aegean Theatre.  But with the relatively small number of officers serving on the various island bases, it's no wonder that so many photos got passed around.  I guess as historians we should be grateful that copies are sometimes relatively common.

With regard to the aircraft featured in these flickr images, I believe all the identifiable ones were in use at Chingford.  I have however been unable to put CH Hayward's name to any of them; they were probably snapped whilst he was gaining his certificate.

Cheers

Peter.

michaeldr
2 hours ago, pete-c said:

it's no wonder that so many photos got passed around.  I guess as historians we should be grateful that copies are sometimes relatively common.

Like the original photos, the links too have been passed arround and the comment has been made that what is nice about this collection is that yes, we're seeing the usual scenes, but from different angles this time, e.g:

T607715-182