Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C H Hayward RNAS

michaeldr

A Pal has very kindly sent me a link to photographs at the RAF Museum in a collection attributed to Wing Commander C. H. Hayward - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=55380880%40N06&view_all=1&text=hayward gallipoli

The photographs include shots of Gallipoli with a few of Suvla and I wonder if we can identify how C. H. Hayward came to be there.

A Wiki search turns up a photograph including a C. H. Hayward from the first RAF Staff College course at Andover. This chap strongly resembles one who also appears in the collection as a 
Sub-Lieutenant with the RNAS Armoured Cars and elements of that unit went on to served at Gallipoli

However, Flight International have C H Hayward gaining Aviators' Certificate No.1787 at Chingford on 24th September 1915 

Was Flight Lieutenant Hayward later posted to the RNAS at Imbros and did he then somehow get across to the peninsula to do some photography there including at Suvla?

[The only RNAS unit at Suvla as far as I know were the machine-gunners from the Armoured Car unit who took their guns up to Jephson's Post.]

Thanks for your interest

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Cecil Hugh HAYWARD. His RNAS record confirms that he was previously a Sub Lt RNVR attached to RNAS Armoured Cars (but no location). He was commissioned RNVR in November 1914 and was transferred to the RNAS as Flt Sub Lt 30 August 1915, appointed to RNAS Chingford. His RNVR record offers no clues either. He was a Flight Commander RNAS by 1917.

His records offer no details of his movements that might suggest Suvla (or even Gallipoli) - so no help one way or the other I'm afraid, Michael.

On review I have found that HAYWARD was commissioned as Ty. Hon 2/Lt RM on 2 Oct 1914 (November 1914 Navy List) and is also listed as Ty. Lt RM in the 1914 Star Roll as a Motor Owner Driver. Clearly the start of his involvement with armoured cars. leading to his transfer to RNVR (att RNAS) a month later.

46 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Hon 2/Lt RM on 2 Oct 1914 (November 1914 Navy List) and is also listed as Ty. Lt RM in the 1914 Star Roll as a Motor Owner Driver.

Thanks again H2

This seems to be the Hon 2/Lt RM

T607716-028

I've edited the above post as on reflection the cap badge indicates that in this photograph Hayward has graduated (?) to the flying side of the RNAS

T607715-253

and finally seen here with his wings on his cuff

T607716-329

Edited by michaeldr

• Admin

The same Cecil Hayward who listed as Capt RNAS has a number of photos listed in the IWM collections?

Including some from the later conflict.

David,

Can I trouble you for a link?

I've put in Hayward and then Cecil Hayward, and drawn a blank each time

I much prefered the IWM's old system

thanks

Michael

• Admin

Michael,

Although one of these flickr images (RAFM T607715-127) is certainly of the 2Wing aerodrome on Imbros, I cannot find anything to tie this man to service in that theatre.  It appears he was Commanding 218 Sqn, as Major CH Hayward, from 28.12.18 to around January1919.   The Squadron were, at that time, at Vert Galand.

Hope this may be of some help.

Peter.

This could well be the case Michael.   It's surprising how often the same photos turn up in different collections - especially, it would seem - with regard to images taken in the Aegean Theatre.  But with the relatively small number of officers serving on the various island bases, it's no wonder that so many photos got passed around.  I guess as historians we should be grateful that copies are sometimes relatively common.

With regard to the aircraft featured in these flickr images, I believe all the identifiable ones were in use at Chingford.  I have however been unable to put CH Hayward's name to any of them; they were probably snapped whilst he was gaining his certificate.

Cheers

Peter.

2 hours ago, pete-c said:

it's no wonder that so many photos got passed around.  I guess as historians we should be grateful that copies are sometimes relatively common.

Like the original photos, the links too have been passed arround and the comment has been made that what is nice about this collection is that yes, we're seeing the usual scenes, but from different angles this time, e.g:

T607715-182

• 4 years later...

Dusting off this old thread as it seems that Cecil Hugh Hayward was in Spich, Germany, in 1919.  Louis Strange's "Recollections of an Airman" contains a photograph with the title "A tour of inspection on Spich Aerodrome.  Squadron Leader C.H. Hayward conducting G.O.C. Lieut.-General Sir W. Robertson and Generals Becke and Salmond."

I'd be interested if any of Hayward's service records indicated when he might have arrived at Spich.  Thus far, I've failed to turn up anything meaningful.

Have you found his casualty form? The back of this form indicates he joined 62 squadron on 14 February 1919, before going on leave from 23 February to 9 March. He was then attached to 51 Wing from 15 March 1919 until late August/early September 1919. Can you tie either of these units to Spich in the time frame that you are looking for?

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/10549

Edited to add that according to the RAFWeb website, 62 squadron moved to France in January 1918, before joining the occupation forces in Germany, and disbanding at Spich in Germany on 31 July 1919, so a possible link? According to the same site 51 Wing in its first incarnation was in existence from November 1917 and disbanded on 30 July 1919, although it doesn't say where it was located. 

https://www.rafweb.org/Squadrons/Sqn061-65.htm

https://www.rafweb.org/Organsation/Wings2.htm

And according to this potted history of 62 squadron, the commanding officer from 18 October 1917 to 12 February 1919 was Major F W Smith, who's departure seems to coincide with the arrival of Cecil Hugh Hayward on 14 February 1919. This history also suggests that the squadron came under the umbrella of 51 Wing from 20 November 1918.

https://www.apw.airwar1.org.uk/no62sqn6.htm

Edited by Tawhiri

3 hours ago, Tawhiri said:

Have you found his casualty form? The back of this form indicates he joined 62 squadron on 14 February 1919, before going on leave from 23 February to 9 March. He was then attached to 51 Wing from 15 March 1919 until late August/early September 1919. Can you tie either of these units to Spich in the time frame that you are looking for?

https://www.casualtyforms.org/form/10549

Many thanks Tawhiri.  Those details are entirely new to me.  Alas, 62 Sqn moved to Spich at the same time as my relative who was serving with 11 Sqn.  Both Squadrons were part of 51 Wing while at Nivelles, Belgium, and later at Spich.  

Was there a date mentioned for the photograph in Louis Strange’s book? The most logical timing for such an event with a number of senior officers in attendance would seem to be the disbandment of both 62 Squadron and 51 Wing at the end of July 1919 at Spich.

No date was mentioned.  The inspection doesn't appear in the surviving 11 Sqn records, either.  There are other photos, one in Strange's book taken from the roof of the Zeppelin hangar, showing a considerable line-up of aircraft at Spich.  I can't help wondering if the line-up was part of General Salmond's visit.  Alas, dates are eluding me.