Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Neil Boyle

3rd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment - Russia

Neil Boyle

I am trying to find out more about what my grandfather experienced in The Great War and specifically when he was in Russia in 1917-1918 with the 3rd Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment.   He served in the 7th Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment from 1914-1917.  I have learned a great deal from a post I recently made entitled: " 7th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment 110th Brigade".   In December, 1917 he went to Cadet School and received a commission as a 2nd Lt. in the 3rd Battalion of the Leicestershire Regiment on May 31, 1918.   When he was commissioned as 2nd Lt.  he requested the Leicester Regiment and was placed in the 3rd Battalion.   On his "Protection Certificate (Officer)"  it lists under Theatre of War or Command:  "Russia - 3rd Leicesters",  Unit with which last serving:  "Karaleius (Russian)".   I have a newspaper article similar that says he was an interpreter for the Imperial Army in Russia: stationed in Moscow from 1917 to 1919.  HIs name is Alfred Montague Thompson 11704.

Do you know if and where the 3rd Leicesters where in Russia in 1917-1918?   Are there any war diaries or other documents that might show what the 3rd did in Russia in that time period?  Any help is greatly appreciated.    

Neil

Ron Clifton

Hello Neil

3rd Bn Leicesters were a Special Reserve battalion which served only in the UK. According to the list of War Diaries, neither it nor any other battalion of the Leicesters served in Russia. He must have remained on the books of 3rd Bn while detached for duty as an interpreter (or in any other staff role).

Ron

Neil Boyle

Graeme, Ron,    thanks for your help on this.   Yes, I have pulled my grandfather's records from the NA and I wrote the write-up on him as you on the Royal Leicestershire Regiment  website, but I have hit a dead end on my research on his time in Russia    Ron, your comments are most helpful and validate what I was thinking.  I couldn't find any record of the 3rd Bn serving in Russia.   

I am going to keep looking researching the Russia service.   My grandfather told me that he was in the secret service - perhaps that is when he was in Russia.  I have requested records from MI5 and MI6.    I greatly appreciate your help.  Neil 

Edited by Neil Boyle

Keith_history_buff

Forum member Damian Wright has written a book that I would recommend purchasing. Here is a link to a massive thread about it:

Keith_history_buff

I have come across service records for men of the AIF who re-enlisted for "special service", which is understood to mean semi-covert involvement in North Russia against the Bolsheviks. Not every man seems to have served in Russia, though. (I can provide examples.)

The Royal Navy and its Accounting Codes can be confusing as to what a given sailor was actually up to. I have seen a similar treatment of soldiers, though. A man at the "Depot" could either be at the depot, or in a hospital and thus taken off the books of his battalion. With regard to the 3rd Battalion, this usually means with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion but in some cases the soldiers are geographically elsewhere in the UK performing war work at a munitions factory, at a location like Nottingham, Barrow-in-Furness, Birmingham etc.

Whilst my experiences are more with O.R.s than officers, it does seem peculiar that he was not transferred to the General List or similar. I would be interested to read the experiences of those more au fait with the subject of army officers.

Thanks, Keith

Neil Boyle

Keith, thanks for the information!   I am  definitely going to buy the book.   Neil   

wrightdw

3rd Leicesters did not serve in Russia 1918-20.

Your Grandfather would have been attached to 'SYREN Force', NREF as an interpreter. Most of the interpreters for North Russia were commissioned into 'General List' for the purpose however if your Grandfather already held a commission he would have served in Russia as a member of his parent regiment.

I made a post on your other thread regarding the Karelian Regiment:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/269464-7th-battalion-leicestershire-regiment-110th-brigade/?tab=comments#comment-2738121

Edited by wrightdw