Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

to identify the uniform ,badges of gentlemen and a lady in the pictures

tux

• Admin

Bottom picture Machine Gun Corps. Top picture man behind groom possibly Glosters or Artillery, men with bandoliers possibly  Artillery, group of three men middle one possibly Artillery older man, possibly Artists Rifles.

• Admin

The lady is probably VAD

Michelle

Can you zoom in on/enlarge the cap and collar badges of the chap seated on the right of the threesome? He looks like he has fusilier or artillery collar grenades, but the cap badge looks neither artillery of fusilier (although that might be a trick of the light)

The two chaps with bandoliers, standing - the one on the right has cloth shoulder titles but difficult to make out what they say.

• Admin

Looking at your other posts is that Wilfred  Hayden stood in the group of three men 

I think that Michelle has made a good call with all her IDs.  Like Steven I'm puzzled by the chap with the elongated star cap badge.

Looked like post-GW Worcestershire, but obviously not.

• Admin

Could he be Kings Dragoon Guards? 

Coldstream Guards perhaps?

Edited by Buffnut453

11 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The lad on the right of the photo of three is a member of the University of London OTC. Pete.

Brilliant spot Pete!  First time I've seen that badge in a WW1 setting.

British-Cap-Badge-University-Of-London-OTC.jpg

UOL OTC ST.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Nice one.

Out of interest, what are his collar dogs?

In the main group the older gentleman with the white armband seated third from the right as you look at the photo is probably St John's Ambulance.

24 minutes ago, Old Owl said:

In the main group the older gentleman with the white armband seated third from the right as you look at the photo is probably St John's Ambulance.

Going by the shape of the cap badge I think more likely BRCS. Pete.

14 hours ago, Steven Broomfield said:

Nice one.

Out of interest, what are his collar dogs?

There is a scroll at the bottom and I think that they might be UOL OTC collar badges, but the shape isn’t a perfect match.  I can see no reason or rationale as to what else they might be, although the form that they took might have been slightly different in WW1.  I enclose the collar badges with Kings crown alleged to be correct for WW1, but I’m unsure if that’s correct, perhaps they are for WW2.  The trouble with Pete’s excellent suggestion that they might be RA or RE section is that the collar badges with scrolls were not adopted until the 1920s and this doesn’t seem like a post war photo.

6713F35C-2166-4C96-8D42-08C6585CDAB1.jpeg

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I think the collar badges are the plain universal type used by a variety of units as collar badges, arm badges, etc. Must try harder.:)

1 hour ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I think the collar badges are the plain universal type used by a variety of units as collar badges, arm badges, etc. Must try harder.:)

Looking again on a large monitor for the first time they look like (universal pattern) grenades, as used by the Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment) for shoulder titles in 1914, which makes complete sense!  Another good spot by you Pete, and I'm confident that you've nailed it.  I strongly suspect that the UOL OTC had a Royal Fusiliers company.  Kicking myself, as I wore a pair of such badges on my collar for 12-years!

plain-universal-grenade-brass-other-ranks-collar-badge.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

That's what I thought you meant!