Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RTE documentary - War of Independence documentary will tell us ‘the history we think we know, but don’t’

TGM

3 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

When would you pronounce 'W' as 'uh' in English?

It is, exactly.

In English, you can have it long as in 'Water' , you pronounce it the same in  the Welsh 'Dwr'.  (Water). This approximates to 'oo'.

In English you can also have it short as in 'With', it's the same short 'W' in the Welsh 'Bws'. This rhymes with the Northern English pronunciation of 'us', (as in 'Race us whippets')  with a proper 'S' rather than the southern 'uz'.

That's correct.

Why would you think that?

Different maybe...

But the W is pronounced wuh in English, not just uh, bws is not pronounced bwuhs in Welsh is it?  Phonetically the English sound is described as a voiced labio-velar approximant while the Welsh sound (except when at the beginning of the word when it is more like a consonant) is a close back rounded vowel or near-close back rounded vowel

12 minutes ago, David_Underdown said:

But the W is pronounced wuh in English, not just uh, bws is not pronounced bwuhs in Welsh is it?  Phonetically the English sound is described as a voiced labio-velar approximant while the Welsh sound (except when at the beginning of the word when it is more like a consonant) is a close back rounded vowel or near-close back rounded vowel

Well, that clears that up, then.

9 hours ago, David_Underdown said:

But the W is pronounced wuh in English

Wuh?

Wuh-at?

Wuh-en?

Wuh-ich wuh-ords wuh-ould those be then?

I don't say it wuh. 

I already explained, Bws rhymes with eg. Puss (in Boots), the same sound as I would begin the word 'what' .How you pronounce a letter in English has no relevance to how you pronounce it in other languages. It may be the same. It may be different.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:06, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Getting back on topic, I must say that episodes 1 & 2 of RTE's "The Irish Revolution" was very good.

Unfortunately Episode 3 does not seem to be on RTE Player, nor on YouTube at the moment.

Anybody know where else it can be seen?

Had a look at the first two episodes last night, but like you I was unable to find the final episode anywhere.

Strange

• 3 weeks later...

I found a trailer for episode three detailing the forced cutting of young women's hair for befriending Black and Tans but no sign of episode three.

Has anyone seen it?