Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British Regiment Identification

Guest reddfc

I am trying to identify the three regiments of the men in the photographs below. I suspect that the chap sitting down was in the Lancashire Fusiliers. If so this is my Great Uncle Andrew McKenna who died at Ypres on 1st August 1917.

I do not know the gentleman standing next to him but he appears to be in a different regiment based on his cap badge.

The soldier on his own, and on the horse, is my Great Grandad Herbert Carter. I do not know his regiment or his rank. The stick and braiding suggest he is above the rank of private but I know very little about this subject. He lived all of his life in Radcliffe, Lancashire, England and died in 1962 aged 83.

I shall be very grateful if anyone will help identify the regiments and ranks.

Dave C

post-23-1106390929.jpg

I'm not a expert, but i would say the man standing in the "Pair" photo was Royal Engineers.

There are more experienced pals that can help further

Is there any way of enlarging the badges?

Mark

From the shape of the badge, the chap on the left by himself (your Great Grandad) might be 1st Dragoon Guards? Or North Somerset Yeomanry, Middlesex Yeomanry, Devonshires or a Guards Regiment?

If you can do a better scan of the badge it would certainly help.

Alan

The Chap standing With the Swagger Stick is Army Service Corps{& I assume he is also the Chap aboard The Grey?}The Bandolier & Lanyard are commonly worn by ASC Men.[As is the Horse!The ASC probably had More Horses than all the Cavalry Put together?

The Chap Sitting Does appear,as you hoped,to be Lancashire Fusiliers!

The other Fellow Standing aside him may well be RE as suggested.

They dont seem to have any "Rank" Badges so would suggest {@ least when the Pictures were taken that they were "Privates" though the LF Does have what might be a Drummer's Sleeve Badge?

Have you tried entering there names in the NA Medal Index Card Site This will give you their Numbers & Confirm The Regiments :~Medal Index Card Search Click Here!?

Harry, Alan and Mark

Thank you very much for your responses and much, much quicker than I would have ever imagined!

I have attached new scans at the maximum zoom that my scanner will allow. I have referenced the close-ups against images of cap badges that can be found at:

http://www.arbeia.demon.co.uk/srs/collect/milsig.htm

I am convinced that my Great Grandad (and the horse!) were in the ASC. I have been to the NA medal card search facility and unfortunately there are 13 records of a Herbert Carter who was in the ASC during WW1. At £3.50 per download it will be an expensive investigation.

I already knew that my Great Uncle Andrew was in the Lancashire Fusiliers as I have traced his war grave in Belgium. I just didn't know which soldier he was of the two in the picture until now. I have no idea who the other soldier is and I can't seem to match his badge exactly. Can anyone shed any more light on it for me?

Many thanks again for your help.

post-23-1106428311.jpg

Top two badges are certainly ASC on left and Royal Engineers on right.

The sleeve badge is a Drummers badge on your other relative in the Lancashire Fusiliers.

I am convinced that my Great Grandad (and the horse!) were in the ASC. I have been to the NA medal card search facility and unfortunately there are 13 records of a Herbert Carter who was in the ASC during WW1. At £3.50 per download it will be an expensive investigation.

I had a quick look @ the NA of the ASC Herbert Carters,you can initially disregard those with M Prefix as they are Motorised{the Horse cant Drive!}of the rest look for "Drivers",as in Wagon Drivers & most of the rest are T Prefix which is Transport{Horse} & this may reduce your search & expense to start with!{with any luck Your Herbert's Record of service will have survived & Bingo!

The Remaining Cap Badge Does look to be Royal Engineers

Personally I have found that records to men in the ASC have a greater survival rate, so you may indeed be lucky and find him in WO363 or WO364 at the NA.

Thanks again gents.

I am very grateful for the information you have supplied. I will let you know if I ever track down Herberts records.

Dave C

Private McKenna is wearing the shoulder title of the 5th (Territorial) Battalion, Lancashire Fusiliers. This is consistent with the unit he was serving with at the time of his death (the 2/5th Battalion).

McKENNA, ANDREW PATRICK COYLE

Initials: A P C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Unit Text: 2nd/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 01/08/1917

Service No: 200274

Additional information: Son of James and Mary Ann McKenna, of 11, Cross St., Radcliffe, Manchester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVII. A. 3.

Cemetery: LIJSSENTHOEK MILITARY CEMETERY

Rgds

Tim D