Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

South African Military Nursing Services - Any books?

alf mcm

The adventures of a South African nursing sister / by F.M. Ayliff. London: Arthur H. Stockwell [1922?]

copac.jisc.ac.uk has this at the British Library, National Library of Scotland, Oxford and Cambridge, so an inter-library loan request should get it to you. I can't see it on archive.org or Google Books.

The Royal College of Nursing has a couple of series of South African nursing journals, but I don't know whether they cover the period. 

https://www.rcn.org.uk/library

It's probably worth asking them whether they know of any titles - I may well have missed some. 

Thanks SeaJane,

The book you mention sounds interesting, but I am really looking for books to buy, or read online.

I couldn't see any South African journals on the RCN website, but I will contact them to see if they know of any books.

Regards,

Alf McM

I checked bookfinder.com but no Ayliff for sale :( sorry.

A couple of other titles, most likely not online unless Kindle versions are available:-

Military nursing in South Africa, 1914-1994 / Dennis O. Stratford and ; Hazel M. Collins. Pretoria : Chief of the National Defence Force 1994

Containing trauma : nursing work in the First World War / Christine E. Hallett. Pbk. ed. Manchester : Manchester University Press 2011 (hardback 2009) - contains some SA material.

Edited by seaJane

Thank's again SeaJane,

The first title looks interesting, but googling it doesn't give any results.

I already have 'Containing Trauma', but there isn't much in it about South African Nursing.

Regards,

Alf McM

If you enter the terms - military nursing South Africa - into https://books.google.co.uk/ rather than Google itself it's possible to pick up stray pieces of information, but it is rather a faff.