Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Do You Clean?

Dazscuba

I have a number of large artillery fragments that are coated in rust. How would I clean these and what’s the best way to do it?

Daz

Easy to do at home with no heavy duty chemicals. White vinegar dip and elbow grease, then buff up with a wire brush. 

J

Thanks 

How long do you leave it in the vinegar?

Edited by Dazscuba

Give it 24 hours, You may need several dips and more elbow grease in between depending how bad the piece is, you can also make a paste with vinegar and bicarbonate of soda and work it in with a wire brush. How big are the pieces?

There are umpteen ways to remove rust. The one I generally favour is citric acid. I have also had good results with Deox-C rust remover and strong central heating system cleaner. Electrolysis is the ‘museum quality’ method and I’ve also heard good things about diluted treacle.

A dead simple way for shell fragments is to heat them in a fire for about 20mins then quench them really quickly in cold water. The expansion-contraction shakes off the rust, but it does leave a purpleish orangeish colour that needs a lots of wire brushing to remove. 

Large brass wire brush fitted to an angle grinder, does the job in a few minutes.

Soaking in a 40:60 solution of water and treacle tends to revert the rust to steel, which might be considered better than abrading it off.

It takes about a week at room temperature and you'll end up with a black object, not dyed by the treacle, but natural iron I believe.

If you try different methods as suggested here, please let us all know how you get on, preferably with "before and after" photographs.