Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HospitalShip War Diary Transcription- help please

charlie962

Transcribing HS Sikkim diary of PoW exchange 1916.  My attempts at War Diary transcription, particularly one written by a Doctor, are stumbling. Suggestions please and verification of what I have typed:

1,1815927748_KutExchangeSikkimWarDiaryQ1.JPG.61c229ddefef41cb68f056a0f1fb33ab.JPG

Cleared Cleaned ship, went below Bridge and loaded Br Ranks 49 Indian Ranks 120 also General Younghusband suffering from (?) and his ADC not sick. Others all Kut cases. Left 5pm stopped for the night at Sheik Saad.

2. 391589914_KutExchangeSikkimWarDiaryQ2.JPG.6cd330cac2e25336497b49854ede9258.JPG

Scurvy and Colites with profuse Diarrhoea are the chief diseases. All cases are very emaciated and the majority extremely(?) ill. Very few are wounded or rather have wounds which require dressing.

3.1040393342_KutExchangeSikkimWarDiaryQ3.JPG.fdef67a0ec94c42221e781e6edf34e06.JPG

Started at 6am. We were stopped for over an hour at Turkish HdQrs waiting for letters to the Turkish MOs in Kut the purport of which were that as an answer had not been received from our HdQrs re exchange of Medical Officers and of ...(?) our MOs and Personnel were not to leave Kut. Arrived Kut loaded 15 BR Ranks and 48 Indian Ranks. Arrived back at camp at 7.45pm

Thanks, Charlie

Edited by charlie962

1. Agree with what you have. Cannot decypher the General's illness.

2. Agree with what you have including "extremely" but Colitis is spelled with an i.

3. After much thinking I agree with what you have. Don't know what the mystery word (or words) is but the intent of the passage is clear. If you transcribed it as: "Started at 6am. We were stopped for over an hour at Turkish HQ waiting for letters to the Turkish MOs in Kut, the purport of which were that as an answer had not been received from our HQ, re. exchange of Medical Officers and Personnel, our MOs and Personnel were not to leave Kut. Arrived Kut, loaded 15 British Ranks and 48 Indian Ranks. Arrived back at camp at 7.45pm." then it would be clear. We know from the ADMS War Diary that Turkish Medical Officers were at Basra working in the Hospitals there so presumably the 11 British MOs were high value exchanges that the Turkish wanted to trade like-for-like and this caused a hold up.

Sorry, best I can do.

Peter

• Admin

1. Could General be suffering from a "leg wound"? 

Edit: on a second look the first letter doesn't appear to be similar to his other "l"s so perhaps not.

Edited by DavidOwen

• Admin

I got some hits on "Younghusband" but they were in other people's collections and too early for the Mespot campaign.... will look for more info elsewhere...

• Admin
8 minutes ago, charlie2 said:

The General is suffering from eczema.

Charlie

Which probably explains why I can't find any other reference to him being wounded even in the OHs of the Mesopotamian campaign at the Qatar Digital Library or indeed anywhere else on tinternet.

Cheers Charlie!

just a note that 7 Div ADMS diary confirms Younghusband evacuated for 'severe gouty exzema'

YounhusbandEvac.JPG.a28e6b78db1e2bf91a056b03eb4e604f.JPG

Thanks again for the replies.

Charlie