Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Alfred Love - did he serve?

condronjames

Morning all

I’m trying to suss our whether my Great Grandfather, George Alfred Love, served in WW1. There is a medal card for a George A Love on Ancestry, but don’t know whether it is his.

Does anyone have access to other records showing his service? He was born in Haggerston, East London in 1885 and married Emily Wyborn. They lived in Walthamstow.

Would really appreciate any help.

James 

Walthamstow kept a memorial book of all those who served.  Has,from memory,about 15,000 names. Kept at  the Vestry House Museum  in Walthamstow as part of the London Borough of Waltham Forest archives. Full details can be found on Tinternet. Very helpful if you telephone or e-mail and should be able to answer your query. A dedicated local researcher has been working on these listings for some time and should pick up on your thread. If not,then I will give him a prod in a few days

There are a few George A's with medal cards.

The one who finished up as 36005 E. Yorks Regiment is on a absent voters list in Hull in 1918 and I assume can be eliminated from the search

George Love sometimes referred to as G A  - 703153 London Regiment - can also be eliminated. Born 1894 and lived in Camberwell. 

Edited by Mark1959

Hi All

James, It helps if you can give as much detail as possible as searching for relatives sometimes brings up the records.

George Alfred Love b.29.4.1885 Haggerston, Hackney, London m, Emily Charlotte Annie Wyborn b.26.7. 1885 West Ham, in 1905 @ West Ham. Daughters :- Annie A M Love (Married name Hagger) born 1.7.1909 and Lilian Love born 27.2.1913...looking

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Thanks Barry. All the above correct. On the 1911 census he was living at 28 Apsley Road, Walthamstow. Father was Joseph Love.

Thanks for you help.

James 

Hi

No joy with the Vestry House Museum. I’d need to visit in person which isn’t really practical for me. So if your local contact could take a look that would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks 

James