Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help re G.Father's Pension Record

tony paley

I have just read my Grandfather's Pension Record held by the WFA. He was a regular soldier who enlisted in 1894. He was discharged to pension in 1920. From late 1916 until the Armistice he was the RSM. of 84 Brigade RGA. His records survived and he was present with the Brigade during many major battles, including Arras, Messines, 3rd Ieper, March 1918 South of Arras then the last 100 days culminating in the last action on the Sambre.

He was also granted a disability pension. I can only make out the following spelling, which could be wrong,1.  Nuerathemia, then it lists, 2. Seeptal Deviation and lastly but not surprisingly Deafness.

The unit he served with consisted of the Heavy and Siege Artillery. I understand the deafness but the other two mentioned I am not familiar with. It also states the obvious that the conditions were due to the war and 1 and 2 were aggravated. Oh he was :- WO Arthur Paley RGA.

Tony P

Neurasthenia in soldiers covers what would now be usually termed as ptsd or a nervous breakdown.

The septum is the cartilage up the middle of the nose. A deviated septum causes various sinus issues. (I know from experience).

Craig

Brilliant, many thanks for your information. Having studied war diaries etc. I am not surprised that he would have some post war difficulties.  Although a widower he returned to Dublin, his three eldest boy enlisted in the Royal Artillery.  He also brought up five other children and had a post as a Customs Officer with the new Irish Free State at the Port of Dublin.

Tony P